Electric Shower cycling hot then cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have an electric shower that has recently developed a fault. After a few mins of normal operation it suddenly goes cold for around 30 secs before heating up again for another few mins.

I assume the overheat sensor inside the shower is causing this to happen as a safety feature? maybe due to limescale build up as i live in a hard water area.

Am i right in assuming this, if so how easy would it be to descale or replace the faulty componant as i really do not have the finances to replace the whole shower unit.

thanks
dave

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are correct. Replace the can element or replace the shower.

Don't forget you are dealing with a lot of current to the can, so it has to be fitted correctly and safely.

Is there any place i could obtain a scematic/drawing identifying the internal componants of the shower so i know what im looking at?

Sponsored Links
replace the can has nothing to do with your shower cycling hot/cold.
you need to check your mains inlet pressure to make sure it not hovering on the borderline of the showers working pressure of 1 bar.

if thats ok check your flow stabilizer if thats faulty it lets in wrong amount of water to the heating element.
check this by turning your dial to fully cold the flow should be fast then turn to hot the flow will be reduced.
if the flow is equal on both hot/cold the stabilizer valve is faulty. is ok then your tco is faulty.

electric showers temp is not worked on the heating element they are controled by the flow of water through the element.

you need to check the tco on the oulet pipe first before the tco on the top.
check for blackening on the terms or arking on the tco.
the bottom ones go before the top.
run the shower with the cover off you can see if they ark then.
and do all your checks without the shower head on just the hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back