Electric Shower Flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an electric shower fitted, a gainsborough 10.5KW. The problem is that its either scalding hot, or stone cold. I have had gainsborough out, and they have said, although I have 2Bar pressure, I only have 4L/Min at the shower, but 17L/Min at the cold taps. Does anyone have any idea why I have good pressure but poor flow. The cold water supply for the shower, comes directly off the rising main, just below the feed to the cold water tank in the loft. It is quite old piping, with soldered joints up to a point, then there is new piping, this appears to have been bent to get it to be above the shower, and there are also 2 cut off valves in the supply, one in the loft and one just above the shower in the bathroom??? I preume the very hot water is due to the poor flow through the shower, as its being overheated, but I have no idea why this could be.

Should the plumber who fitted this shower have seen this coming, as he connected the new piping, to the old, and bent the new pipe to get it above the shower. I paid him £40 to do this.

Rgrds

Chris
Please Help :)

Sponsored Links
4 l/min is correct for a 10kW shower. Any more and it wouldn't be hot enough in the winter. 9 times out of ten the problem, if there is one, is abit of dirt in the shower. £40 isn't expensive for anyone to come to your house and do anything.

Sounds like the control system isn't working poperly - tho we dont know how yours works it could be dirt stuck in a thermostatic part, etc.

I have had gainsborough out, and they say the shower is OK. The 4L/Min is the supply to the shower, but there is 17L/Min to the taps. Do you think the supply pipe is blocked, cant see why there is a prob with the shower as iots been checked. This is also the 2nd shower to do this, I replaced the 1st, but they both do the same thing

rgrds

Chris

when you say the pipe was bent to get it over the shower - was this done with a spring or bender ? If not it could be that the pipe has been bent incorrectly(ie by hand) and flattened, which would restrict the flow.

Sponsored Links
It dosnt look like it has been flattened, and was done by a professional plumber!!!!!!!!!

It did have 2 cut off valves in it, I have removed one, and replaced with a stright through compression connector, no change.

Anybody have any other ideas short of replacing the whole piping, which may again have no effect.

Rgrds

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back