Electric Shower Front Cover Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the buttons on my electric shower has stopped working. The other 2 work fine and turn the shower On & Off no problem.

I've taken the front cover off just to have a quick look to see if the button was just misaligned or something but that's unfortunately not the case. I'll have to get an electrician to see what's wrong with it.

The first thing I noticed was that there isn't any sort of gasket or sealant between the front cover and the unit to stop water getting in! Is that normal?!?

It's a 9.5 Slimline Home of the Ultra similar to this at Screwfix

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The first thing I noticed was that there isn't any sort of gasket or sealant between the front cover and the unit to stop water getting in! Is that normal?!?

Many don't have a gasket, just a cunning system of overlapping edges that should keep the water out.

The instructions (on the Screwfix page) shows a schematic of the connections inside the shower. You'll need to look hard to find an electrician that could be bothered, or has the ability, to come out to look at it. Many are fine with banging in a few sockets but aren't able to carry out detailed fault-finding inside an appliance.

You see, a couple of decades ago there were proper craft apprenticeships. These days its "get a quick fix certificate in 5 days and you're qualified" :rolleyes: Don't get me started!!

What does the button do?

Yes, no sealant is normal, usually there is a gasket (although i'm not familiar with that make or model) but the showers are designed to not let water in. If there was no sign of any water inside, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

Many don't have a gasket, just a cunning system of overlapping edges that should keep the water out.

Yes, no sealant is normal, usually there is a gasket (although i'm not familiar with that make or model) but the showers are designed to not let water in.

That's made me feel a little better/safer.

What does the button do?

There are 4 buttons:

"Hot" - Slightly Warm!
"Medium" - Completely useless all year round!
Cold
Off

It's the "Hot" button that's broken, it worked fine this morning but nothing happens when I press it now.

EDIT:False alarm, tested the PCB with a multimeter. Turns out the buttons work fine, it was probably just a misalignment with the rubber cover as it works fine now.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back