Electric shower query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope this is the right section but apologies if not.

Our electric shower seems to be playing up. We have a switch in the airing cupboard suppose does the same thing as a pull cord that turns the power on for shower. We normally leave this on so this morning went to turn on shower and nothing so checked airing cupboard flicked the switch in there then tried the shower again but nothing. Checked fuse box downstairs nothing had tripped so went back up stairs turned on switch in airing cupboard and then noticed no light on shower. Sometimes it is hard to see led on shower as it's not seated properly inside. At first I thought no power was getting to shower as I could'nt see the red led so turned off shower at fuse box and took off the cover, checked cables then flicked on shower at fuse box and in airing cupboard and the light came on shower. So without cover on I turned the shower on and water comes out as usual. Then put cover back on tried shower again but nothing even though the power light stays on. So somehow the cover is stopping the shower from working... Any ideas???

Cheers!!!

Sponsored Links
With the supply off at the consumer unit, (fuse box), remove the cover again and check all connections are tight and there are no loose wires. Give them a tug to be certain. Then replace cover and try again.

What may be happening is when you replace the cover it is disturbing a loose connection and causing an open circuit.

Thats what i though that the cover was pressing against a cable or something, checked everything and all looked good. The power button when turn to the left would click with the cover off, but put cover on and it didnt click, but would click turning back. Anyway turns out must be wear and tear on the dial/nob as if i put cover on and push nob in and turn left it clicks so somehow the cover has come away from the interior just enough that th enob doesnt have contact so just need to apply pressure when turning on and off.

Thanks for the help though.

Are there any signs that the cover may have over heated and thus become distorted ?

Excessive heat would indicate a fault.

Sponsored Links
No the cover looks fine both inside and out, no warped areas, burnt marks or nothing... quite odd really. At least it works, may try and see if can get a replacement cover cheap see if that helps.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back