No power getting to electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a Mira Go electric shower in my house

I wired the shower unit and plumed it in. I turned the power and water back on to test the shower. I pulled the cord for power to the shower but the led did not come on, I switched the trip for the shower on and off on the fuse board and the led started to work.

I hit the on switch on the shower but for some reason nothing happened but the led on the pull cord switch went out and when I turned the shower off again the led came back on. At no point during any of these steps did the shower spring into life, no water, no lights no nothing.

I removed the cover on the shower and checked the wiring but all was as it should be. I can only assume that there is a loose connection somewhere on the circuit but I don't have a voltage test meter to check.

I don't suppose someone can tell me what is wrong with the blooming thing. Or if I have overlooked something.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You sure the water is getting to it? Think they have a safety feature to shut them off if no water pressure

I wired the shower unit ... I don't have a voltage test meter ...

I don't suppose someone can tell me ... if I have overlooked something.
Yes.

You have overlooked the fact that your lack of knowledge, skill and appropriate tools means that you should not be fiddling with electrics.

Please call an electrician.

I hit the on switch on the shower but for some reason nothing happened but the led on the pull cord switch went out and when I turned the shower off again the led came back on
Indicating there is a fault or design error in the wiring between the consumer unit and the pull switch. A fault that could be extremely dangerous with a very high risk of something getting hot enough to start a fire.

Only advice you need is to call a competant electrician to install the shower and the cable supplying it in a correct and safe mannner.

Sponsored Links
RobbieMcL,
To be honest, you really need to call an electrician, if you have not got the standard equipment to test at least for continuity, insulation resistance, polarity and even check you are working on a dead circuit.
You should not be doing this and it would be difficult to diagnose the faulty without this type of test equipment.
Other test such as Ze, Zs, PFC and RCD testing are also needed, how on earth would you consider this a safe installation without these tests.
Especially considering the potential dangers of the electrical equipment combined with the location.

By led I think you mean neon indicator?

Sounds like you may have incorrectly terminated the shower pull cord?

Load = shower, mains = supply, live is brown or red, neutral is blue or black.

As others have mentioned it really isn't a DIY job. What size is the cable, the main fuse, the run distance, the load in kw of the shower. How do you intend to test the work?

Or was this all insitu, and a change out? And if so is it all like for like?

Thank you for your responses.

I didn't just way in without any knowledge. I do have some knowledge of electrics as my father is a spark but he is not available to come round until next week.

All electrics etc are already installed and have been for many years. I had an electric shower already installed and had been working for 10 years until it gave up the ghost on Thursday.

All i did was swap out the old unit for a new one. The old unit was a Gainsborough 2000x and the new u nit is a Mira GO. The load cable is 8mm and both the old and new showers are 8.5kw units.

I fully intend to get my dad to resolve the issue I was just trying to resolve it without him. I'm not foolish enough to go messing about with a mains current and end up getting electricuted, I have already had that experience when I was 5 and I do not care to experience it again.

What was wrong with the old shower? Have you checked the pull switch as these are common to burn out due to loose connections. This could be the reason you felt you old shower gave up the ghost and in reality it may have been the pull switch!

The old shower would not turn on as the dial to turn it on was chewed up on the inside so it nolonger gripped the do-dad that engaged the switch.

I would still check the pull switch for any signs of thermal damage. If you have a loss of supply to the shower then I would firstly eliminate any weak spots on the circuit. These would be the connections in the pull switch, shower its self, the cu and any other possible joints you may have. If you are not competent in doing this then call an electrician.

Can i ask, why is the electrical forum on a DIY site when in most cases if any question is raised the usual response is get an electrician?
Is it therefore a bit pointless as most qualified electricians would have no need to ask on a forum.
"DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages"
"Are you working on your own DIY project? Share experiences, tips, ideas, and frustrations with others, discuss projects and ask questions. You have the facility to join a group already discussing a subject area or start your own topic."

Is this a DIY forum for people doing DIY.
Is there a point in the UK electric forum. Some are most helpful here, some are not.

Could potentially wrong information be given on such a hazardous area of DIY.

I,m sure everyone knows electrics can Kill, but it always has and always will be attempted as part of a DIY project, from changing a plug to fitting a light and in some cases more.
I personally have gained information from those that wish to help. Stating the obvious and getting an electrician however-is not that helpful.

Paulpa

Using a paint brush, a filler knife, a plasterers trowel are not likely to result in death or serious injury.

Electrics are dangerous, can and do injure.

Without testing equipment that costs a lot, and takes some skill to use correctly DIY electrical enquiries are some times impossible to resolve by simple talk through.

Add on the regulation side of the business and unfortunately some answers to questions raised will have the use an electrician card thrown down and the only safe (and legal) method of resolution.

You also have to add in to the mix that some folk think they have an ability that is not in evidence when they post their questions.

So would you rather we became complicit in our advice, and encourage posters to attempt work they can't do and risk serious injury, fire or death?

So would you rather we became complicit in our advice, and encourage posters to attempt work they can't do and risk serious injury, fire or death?
No, but that is my point, like i say, to some changing a plug can be a serious task, wrong fuse protection, cables not secured, cabled incorrectly, wrong amperage cable, split cable etc etc.
Anything to do with electrics are potentially life threatening, hence my point, is it a topic for a DIY forum, in itself suggesting it is a DIY job.
You would hope that most asking questions would have considered paying an electrician before posting :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back