smoking power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just pulled the shower pull cord from the ceiling.i bought a like for like replacement (mk) wired it up and the led light came on when pulled,heard the power coming on but water had no force like usual,smoke then came out the base of the shower,turned the power to the house off and the shower was black inside,any idea whats wrong?

Sponsored Links
Power shower as in just a pump which runs off your a normal hot and cold water (header tank type) system?
I'm suspecting just a coincidence tbh, can you post some photos of the offending item?

Tosh, it would still work even if L-N reversed. What do you think, the motor would run backwards ??? :LOL: :LOL:

More likely to be a loose connection.

Sponsored Links
Recently called to look at similar problem , took swith apart neutral was loose , cured burning smell and over load tripping

Did you make sure everything was clean before you connected the new pump into the circuit?

Could be that something has been dis-lodged and jambed the pump rotor.

Is it possible to remove the motor from the pump unit and trying to turn the pump by hand (just to see if it is free) or running the motor on its own.

Nick.

Doesn't matter what he means - he replaced the ceiling switch, not the whatever-he-means....

Doesn't matter what he means - he replaced the ceiling switch, not the whatever-he-means....
Very true. But it would be nice to know what 'whatever-he-means' was because that's what the smoke seems to be coming out of.

In the case of my 'power shower' the smoke would be coming of a water mixer valve, which makes no sense at all.

I presume the aim is to get to the bottom of the matter?

just pulled the shower pull cord from the ceiling.i bought a like for like replacement (mk) wired it up and the led light came on when pulled,heard the power coming on but water had no force like usual,smoke then came out the base of the shower,turned the power to the house off and the shower was black inside,any idea whats wrong?

Why did you replace the switch - had it stopped working?

If so maybe a fault in the shower pump damaged the original switch. The new one is now once again revealing the fault, but I expect it will fail soon too :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back