replace power shower with electric one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my power shower is goosed,i want to install an electric one,at the moment i have to heat the water for an hour or two every morning to shower,think an electric one would be a better idea,are they easy to change over?

Sponsored Links
They are like chalk n cheese!
An electric shower will require its own supply run from the consumer unit to it via an isolator. It also requires a mains pressure water supply unless you go for a pumped variety.

No, the circuit powering the pump is very unlikely to be suitable for an electric shower, you will probably need a new dedicated circuit run from the consumer unit.

I you don't have spare capacity and RCD protection in the CU that will complicate matters further,

Do a forum search on "shower" there is load of information

Just get another power shower, and a timer for your water heater.

Changing to an electric shower will be far more expensive and however good it is, you will be seriously disappointed with it compared to the power shower.

Sponsored Links
I've just made the switch and I don't agree that it's a bad move. If anything, the power shower was too strong and was dependent on there being enough hot water in the cylinder at the right time. The electric shower (9.8KW) is strong enough and can be used independently of the boiler water. My electrician fitted it in a day with backup from my plumber to do the water feed. (very little cabling needed here though).
Very pleased we did it and wouldn't have another power shower.

If you have stored low pressure hot water, power showers are ideal.

If you have instant hot water (combi), electric showers are better. Power showers cant handle the differing temperatures given by combi boilers, and its at mains pressure. Its illegal to pump mains pressure water.

Not sure on the legality of pumping mains water (thinking of my pressure washer) - one for the plumbers. Afaik power showers are not built to withstand the pressure of the mains water.

It is illegal then :LOL:
How does halfrauds get away with selling them without telling you they are illegal to use :confused:

In the apropriate bathroom zone depending upon the type of isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back