Electric shower help.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure wether there is a RCD.
Given what you say I doubt it as well.

Whats the difference between a MCB tripping out and stopping the power, and a RCD tripping out and stopping the power?
None the circuit will be dead - though the RCD should trip before the MCB.
Think of it this way - the MCB protects the cable - the RCD protects you!

Some usefull advice on here tonight, many thanks. I have not used the shower for over a year, just been having baths, but I work with insulation so I really want the shower sorted and working. Nothing worse than coming home covered in fibreglass then lying in it in the bad.

I have no plans at all to use this shower until its been sorted out by a qualified professional.

I have lived here 8 years, my other half, she's lived in this house 21 years, and everything electrically has been ok while she's lived here
That means nothing.

I could have been driving around in my cars for the last 21 years with no seatbelts and no working air bags and not suffered any ill effects, because nothing went wrong in that time.

Same with earthing - you don't need it until something goes wrong.

Sponsored Links
Hmm the question is was the first electrician really an electrician because putting a 10 KW shower on a 32 amp wired fuse is asking for trouble is it not.

I have seen photo's on here of burnt out C/U's with wired fuses caused by showers being installed.

Andy

Hmm the question is was the first electrician really an electrician because putting a 10 KW shower on a 32 amp wired fuse is asking for trouble is it not.
Certainly is - a 30A rewirable fuse will pass 54A indefinitely, and get very hot in the process.

I have seen photo's on here of burnt out C/U's with wired fuses caused by showers being installed.
Indeed you have. A 30A rewirable fuse will pass 60A for anything up to 1¼ hours, and get extremely hot in the process.

And depending on how it's installed, but worst case you need 16mm² cable to use a 30A rewirable - 6mm², for example, has to go on a 15A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back