electric shower/henley block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering getting a 8k elec shower and have an old style fusebox. I know that I can upgrade that but is another alternative to use a henley block?

Sponsored Links
If you mean to connect a shower consumer unit to the supply, then yes you can use henley blocks on the supply tails.

It might be better (unless there is one already) to use an isolator switch, or rather, have an isolator switch fitted to which you can connect the fuse box and shower unit.
The main incoming electrical supply will have to be turned off to do this so I don't think you should do it yourself.

Thanks for the reply, I normally do my own electrics but would get someone in to do this, probably Part P I would imagine?
when u say isolator switch , does that incorporate an RCD? so it would be shower---- isolator/rcd----fusebox or rather henley block?

No, just a switch, to which you can connect both the fuse box and new shower unit which will have an RCD.

...........................> shower unit
Supply > switch <
...........................> fuse box

ignore the dots, only way to space items.

Sponsored Links
It may be more cost effective and beneficial just to have a new consumer unit, if yours is out of date - and provide plenty of spare ways for future work.

With a brand new up to date consumer unit with plenty of spare ways you shouldn't really need a stand alone isolator 'ever' again.

IF you did fit a stand alone isolator before the shower unit and fuse box, then you would probaby still need an isco block as you'd never get two sets of tails into the terminals of this isolator switch.

It may be more cost effective and beneficial just to have a new consumer unit, if yours is out of date - and provide plenty of spare ways for future work.

With a brand new up to date consumer unit with plenty of spare ways you shouldn't really need a stand alone isolator 'ever' again.

IF you did fit a stand alone isolator before the shower unit and fuse box, then you would probaby still need an isco block as you'd never get two sets of tails into the terminals of this isolator switch.
Indeed. If there is more than one DB then any isolator realistically is going to be feeding ISCOs.

There are plenty of isolator switches with terminals large enough for two 25mm² cables - even though that might not be required.

I am considering getting a 8k elec shower
I would strongly advise that you stop considering that and consider getting a 10.8kW one.

Or, if you don't mind more plumbing, a 12kW instant water heater and a mixer shower.

An 8kW one will be nothing but a disappointment.

An 8kW one will be nothing but a disappointment.

Yup - agreed. To add insult to injury, my unknown rating shower, which is pathetic in winter but usually OK in summer, is now too hot on the dual element and coldest setting, so you have to set to single element and reduce the flow to get a decent temperature, so it's back to being just as pathetic as in winter.

Looking forward to my 28kW one off the combi when we get a new bathroom.

The problem you describe does not arise with fully thermostatic electric showers.

Interesting - I didn't know that. I think I'll still stick with my shower off the combi plan. Can always join a gym if the boiler ever breaks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back