Dangerous Henley Block!?

I know what you're all thinking.
... and you could well be right :)

However, the OP did seem to be saying that there is a similar, but not so bad, issue (I presume again 'visible copper') at the meter end of the tails going to the Henley. If that is bad enough to need 'attention', only an idiot would break the meter seals, in which case one might just as well wait until the person who is allowed to break those seals pulls the DNO fuse, and then either take advantage of the opportunity to attend to the issues at the Henley, or else charm the person into doing that as well :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I implied, it may perhaps have been put there with the thought of taking some other feed from it in the future.

Kind Regards, John
More likely there used to be more than one CU/fusebox.

Certainly a good chance to fit an isolator, it's probably worth buying one [£20-£30ish] and offer tea and bix as others suggest. That worked a treat for me at a 3 phase village hall.

More likely there used to be more than one CU/fusebox.
Yep, it could relate to the past, just as well to the future. However, if it were me, since it's there I probably wouldn't get rid of it, 'just in case' ('the future').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yep, it could relate to the past, just as well to the future. However, if it were me, since it's there I probably wouldn't get rid of it, 'just in case' ('the future').

Kind Regards, John
check my edit.

Very shoddy work, looks as if maybe the exposed copper has been made too long. The other issue is that the grey sheath ought to be stripped back a little way short of the insulation layer.

check my edit.
Fair enough (it obviously wasn't there when I wrote before).

AS for your edit, I'm not so sure about "... an isolator, it's probably worth buying one [£20-£30ish] and offer tea and bix as others suggest", since that could be wasted money. As I reported earlier, when I had an isolator fitted (at the time of a meter change), they insisted on using a isolator they had suplied, rather than the one 'on my shelf' which I offered them, and did not charge for for the one they installed.

Kind Regards, John

Very shoddy work, looks as if maybe the exposed copper has been made too long. The other issue is that the grey sheath ought to be stripped back a little way short of the insulation layer.
At least the insulation colours are probably correct. As I've illustrated before, the incoming neutral of my installation had red insulation (no longer visible, since the chap who did the last meter changed hid this 'evidence' with grey silicone :) ) ...

upload_2020-10-5_21-17-7.png

Kind Regards, John

have you ever seen a regulation saying so?

Do you need a regulation to tell you what is good practise? The grey is a poorer quality of insulation, intended for mechanical protection. Were that not so, the whole of the cables plastic covering could be made of the same colour as the insulation.

What do you mean?
If we have the inner insulation layer exposed we might just as well not bother with the second layer at all and use cheaper singles.
Red Black single insulation?
- quoted from elsewhere

Do you need a regulation to tell you what is good practise? The grey is a poorer quality of insulation, intended for mechanical protection. Were that not so, the whole of the cables plastic covering could be made of the same colour as the insulation.
It usually is now:
upload_2020-10-5_23-17-42.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back