Henley Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I wish to extend my meter tails with a henley block similar to the one in my pic

what i am finding a bit confusing is how the phase and neutral are seperated in the block as there seems to be no seperation between them??
am i missing something here? the phase and neutral seem so be connected by the bridgeing piece across?

Sponsored Links
You'd have to use two of those. One for live and one for neutral.
You can get 2pole ones though. Either way is fine.

Good greif.

Are you competant to be messing aroung with meter tails and the like?

How do you propose to isolate the tails before you split them?

Sponsored Links
He obviously enjoys the thrills of working live........ the way he's going that's the one thing he won't be. Why don't people realise their limitations?

Ohh, a neutral tail shoved into a live henely. Thats gonna smart. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for all your replies fellas.
The meter tails can be isolated from a mains switch in the basement as the tails i am referring to supply a flat.
Thanks for your concern though fellas :D

I take it that you've checked, and properly tested, that the switch does isolate both tails?

And it can be locked off?

Why do you want to extend the tails? How far?

Flat = some kind of shared building ownership - have you checked that you won't invalidate any insurances by doing this work, as you are clearly not qualified, and have you managed to arrange suitable liability insurance in case you cause loss or damage to other occupants of the building?

Hi Ban, Thanks for your comments
I take it that you've checked, and properly tested, that the switch does isolate both tails
Ihave tested and the switch does isolate both tails

And it can be locked off?

All the flats are un-occupied at the present, and i am the only person working in the building at present. The basement does have a door to it which i have the key to but you are correct to warn me about somebody unknown to me energizing the tails.

Why do you want to extend the tails? How far

the tails are only to be extended about 10 inches into a coin operated meter
Flat = some kind of shared building ownership - have you checked that you won't invalidate any insurances by doing this work, as you are clearly not qualified, and have you managed to arrange suitable liability insurance in case you cause loss or damage to other occupants of the building?

i have been assured by the landlord that i am covered by his public liability insurance whilst working there. But i will insist that i see a copy of his insurance before i commence the work. Would it be the case that his insurance woldnt specifically cover someone working for him but only cover him only???
Thanks again for your comments

it's not liablility for yourself that you should be concerned for..
if you do something wrong and later the flats burn down or someone gets killed then it's you they'll be after..

you need public liability insurance if you are doing electrical work for yourself..

Would it be the case that his insurance woldnt specifically cover someone working for him but only cover him only???
It could very well be the case that the insurance he has on his building, e.g. fire, will be invalidated if you do this work.

You are doing work for a landlord in a block of flats he owns and you aren't qualified? You're both mad.

and then there is the violation of notifying the work according to part p of the building regs.

I strongly advise you to leave the work well alone.

Hi Guys,
I have decided not to do the work. Although i do have my C&G 236 Part 1 i have decided that i would be leaving myself wide open if something were to go wrong.

Hi Guys,
I have decided not to do the work. Although i do have my C&G 236 Part 1 i have decided that i would be leaving myself wide open if something were to go wrong.
especially if you shuv both live & neutral tails into the same block :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back