DNO supplied isolator , only one pole used.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked for my DNO to fit an isolator between my meter and my consumer unit to avoid any need to get the supply fuse pulled when I have a new kitchen fitted in the summer.

They put in a double pole switch in an enclosure.

However only the live (phase) conductor goes to the switch
(ie 1 cable in 1 cable out , second pole left unused.)

The neutral cable goes to a henley block then direct to the consumer unit.

I had expected the double pole isolator to be used to switch both phase and neutral.

Is this the usual arrangement.

Sponsored Links
TONY144 said:
what did they charge you please if you dont mind?

It depends on the area, some DNOs will do it free of charge, others will flat out refuse, etc

double pole are usually fitted, but aslong as the phase is switched, there shouldnt be too much of a problem

Sponsored Links
If it`s TNC - S (PME) then switching your Nuetral would also switch out the incomming earth therefore only phase is switched

ebee said:
If it`s TNC - S (PME) then switching your Nuetral would also switch out the incomming earth therefore only phase is switched

Not so - the earth comes from the service head, the isolator is placed in the meter tails. I have seen only the live switched on several occasions, and still can't fathom why.

And what happens if the DNO connect Live and Neutral reversed. Live would still be connected even with the installation 'Isolated'

Personally I would not be happy with just live interupted. There is a requirement to use a double pole swith in the CU.

yet your happy with just the live disconnected by pulling the service fuse or switching off a MCB (does anyone really turn off the entire install?!)

afaict in this country the recs are incrediablly carefull to avoid P-N reversal especially because there are people with thier earthing systems connected to the neutral.

The requirement for a DP main switch on most single phase installs (iirc you don't need it if you restrict access to the switch to suitably competent persons but i don't remember the details) is from BS7671 which isn't law and i'm pretty sure isn't what the recs work too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back