Main Isolator.

E

EdwardCurrent

Hello All,

Where two consumer units are installed and there is need for one common point of isolation, with the neutral being classed as 'live', is it correct to fit a double pole 100A isolator ?? Or a 100Amcb ??

TN-C-S system. 537.1.2. gives me the impression that the 'neutral' is not required to be switched, then 537.1.4. says both live conductors should be interrupted ???

Any help appreciated.
Thank you

Ed

Sponsored Links
537.1.4 is pretty clear that "a switch intended for operation by ordinary persons... shall interrupt both live conductors of a single phase supply". On a domestic install I would use a DP isolator on a SP supply regardless of 537.1.2.

Whether you use a DP isolator or DP MCB is up to you, table 53.2 allows the use of an MCB for isolation and emergency & functional switching, assuming it complies with one of the listed BS.

Cheers E'UK.

I am just a tad confused, the DNO seem to fit a 100A mcb sometimes, without splitting the neutral ??. :eek: .

Is it case where you must break one reg to comply with another ??? :LOL:

Sorry, I have read other 'posts' and see that I should get the DNO out to fit a DP isolator, not carry out the work myself. Ooops :oops:

Ed

Can you get MCBs as big as 100A?? The biggest I can recall seeing is 63A.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your input.

I am trying to source a pic of the 100A mcb (eaton) but I am still confused as to the single or double pole isolation ?
Double pole I think, or am I wrong ??

Ed

Yep, that is what I first thought - moulded case circuit breakers go up to the hundreds of amps. I have only ever seen a miniature circuit breaker up to 63A, but the regs book does go up to 125A in table 41.3 for MCBs.

Thats a single pole isolator.

You can see it carries a marking of 'BSEN 60947-3'

That is the standard number for an isolator.

If it were an MCB it would carry 'BSEN 60898'

Sorry , my mistake.
Isolator it is.

Back to my original question as to the SP/DP isolation ??, this shows single pole isolation, shouldn't both 'L-N' be switched ??? ('ordinary folk and that !) Sorry to go on but I want to be sure.

Thank you
Ed

I see no need to use a DP isolator in this scenario.

You are using this switch to provide a single point of isolation.

Presumably each CU contains a DP main switch anyway, so this IMO satisfies 537.1.4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back