RCBO 's

I thought anything outside the house that is electrical ie cable should be protected by a rccd , what if the garage supply cable whic is a 6.00mm twin & earth protected by plastic conduit was damaged and it was'nt protected by a rcc back at the house.

According to the 16th edition, the only thing which requires RCD protection is a socket likely to supply portable equipment for use outside the equipotential zone.

Things like SWA supplying a submain do not require RCD protection. This remains unchanged in the 17th edition.

SWA is protected from mechanical damage by its construction. It has a tough steel layer encasing all the live conductors. This steel layer is earthed, so if something does manage to penetrate the steel layer, it will be automatically be earthed from being in contact with the armour, causing any live conductor which it may also touch to be short circuited to earth.

This causes a high current fault, which will automatically disconnect the supply, thus removing any danger.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was only pulling your leg, I certainly don't carry grudges on forums!

Anyway, do you know why we have SP and DP RCD's?
If so, would you be so kind and explain the reasoning apart from the obvious that a DP RCD provides a safer isolation of a fault.

I assume it's buried in a British Standard for RCD's of which I have no access to.

I thought anything outside the house that is electrical ie cable should be protected by a rccd , what if the garage supply cable whic is a 6.00mm twin & earth protected by plastic conduit was damaged and it was'nt protected by a rcc back at the house.

There's another basic problem, Jag. Is this conduit visible and above ground, or has it been buried??

Previous post deleted.

Apologies for my misleading advice.

I did not have a copy of the regs with me and I misinterpreted some scribbled notes I had made on my 17th update course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back