Henley overheated

WESTIE - if you're there - are they not trained to inspect the ends of overheated cables, and to cut back if necessary?

As Steve said it was on his side of the meter so the DNO operative should actually never have touched it! But he no doubt decided on-site that the damage was not too severe (looking at the photo I would agree) that the cable could not be energised to provide a supply.

I've seen far worse than that re-used to maintain supply when needed

Sponsored Links
Presumably only if asked to? It could well be that the Henley had deliberately been put there with a view to a(known or possible) future need to split the tails - in which case the customer might be none too pleased if someone removed it!

Kind Regards, John

Personally I would prefer to keep the Henley, as you suggest. As you indicate, rather handy for adding garage board etc, and possibly a more convenient way to do alterations without anyone having to disturb the meter seal.

Presumably only if asked to? It could well be that the Henley had deliberately been put there with a view to a(known or possible) future need to split the tails - in which case the customer might be none too pleased if someone removed it!
Personally I would prefer to keep the Henley, as you suggest. As you indicate, rather handy for adding garage board etc, and possibly a more convenient way to do alterations without anyone having to disturb the meter seal.
Indeed - or, as I also suggesting (and accepting that the likes of RF don't like them) replace the Henley with an isolator - a Henley could then easily be added later if/when needed.

Kind Regards, John

How do you insert/remove cables into/from it without working live?

Sponsored Links
Good point.
Quite. Hence my suggestion, not liked by all, to replace the Henley with an isolator!

Kind Regards, John

Thing is, if you go to the trouble of fitting an isolator, it then seems you may as well fit the Henley block (after the isolator obviously) so it's ready to accept future tails for a garage board etc.

All these potential points of failure. :D

But I suppose if the terminals are tight, and the installer checks again once everything is in place; and the tails are arranged so they can't be yanked, then you can't do much else.

How did rf work on the Henley without working live?

Thing is, if you go to the trouble of fitting an isolator, it then seems you may as well fit the Henley block (after the isolator obviously) so it's ready to accept future tails for a garage board etc.
You could do that, but why bother since (with the isolator present) it could so easily be done later if/when needed. As you say...
All these potential points of failure. :D
... so why introduce those additional points of potential failure before you actually need them (if you ever do)?

Kind Regards, John

Because it's a pain changing the tails later on.

If you think there's a good chance you will need the Henley, it makes perfectly good sense to wire it now ready.

As you will have seen, I wrote a couple of tongue-in-cheek digs (with appropriate emoticons!) about that. The 'official' answer is:
All sorted now lads. Thanks to a little Diynot generosity on the part of a member of the forum. . . .The DNO also turned up to isolate and reseal the meter . . . ;)
As I commented in response, the DNO appears to provide an incredibly impressive service, at very short notice, in Yorkshire!

Kind Regards, John

As you will have seen, I wrote a couple of tongue-in-cheek digs (with appropriate emoticons!) about that. The 'official' answer is:
All sorted now lads. Thanks to a little Diynot generosity on the part of a member of the forum. . . .The DNO also turned up to isolate and reseal the meter . . . ;)
As I commented in response, the DNO appears to provide an incredibly impressive service, at very short notice, in Yorkshire!

Kind Regards, John

Didn't see that bit. :)

Because it's a pain changing the tails later on.
I wouldn't personally regard it as much of a pain, and nor would one really be 'changing' the tails, more like adding extra ones. One would be having to connect at least one pair of tails to the Henley 'later on', even if it was already there.
If you think there's a good chance you will need the Henley, it makes perfectly good sense to wire it now ready.
That's obviously a subjective judgement call. If one feels that there is a "good chance" of needing the Henley in the foreseeable future then, yes, I suppose one might just as well do it 'now' as later. However, to do it 'just in case' would be a bit different. However, it's a personal judgement.

Kind Regards, John

There's no chance of needing the Henley in the future while I'm here anyway. The house is a 2 up 2 down with an 8 way dual rcd cu which has 2 spare ways. Highly unlikely to need anything extra. The garden is small with no shed just a lean to coal store. Just thought I'd put that to bed. The only largeish load I might want to add on in the distant future is an electric car charging point which would probably be on eco7 on its own. Christ knows how I'd route a cable to that though. Meter is at front of living room. Driveway is at back of back garden. :eek:

Just thought I'd add this. To read my meter the easiest way is to take a picture on my phone. The sofa lives in front of the meter cupboard so it's easiest to just pry the door open slightly and stick my camera in there. Anyway I take monthly readings and never delete the pictures. Just been browsing my old photos and found one that takes in the Henley block from May. Lo and behold the cable was actually overheating then! Perhaps it had been like this for a year or more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back