Replacement Consumer unit - does the Henly box have to stay?

15 May 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom

My house currently has 3 consumer units and I will get getting an electrician to replace these three with one.

Currently the meter tails go to a henley box and from this there are three pairs of tails, one for each CU.

When I have one CU can the tails that currently go to the henley box go straight to the new CU?

The reason I ask is so I can plan my boxing in, this is in a kitchen and I want to put a cupboard over the meter and CU and currently the henley box would be in the way so I am hoping that this will no longer be required when the CU 's are replaced.


Sponsored Links
Depends if the meter has a user accessible non sealed connection for the tails, you can then have new tails direct from meter to cu.

If there isn't a isolation switch between meter and cu's then maybe you could ask the guy to replace the Henley with a switch and move it to a location that means you can do as you want.

Pictures speak a thousand words...
It depends on whether the tails from the meter are long enough to reach inside the new cOnsumer unit. If not they will need to remain (but could Probabily be moved) in order to lengthen the tails. The electrician is not allowed to fit new tails direct to the meter. Chris.
Sponsored Links

Thanks for the responses. Perfect.

I recently had the overhead cable replaced and the electricity company moved the meter slights and left the tails long as I told them what we were planning to do.

So it will all work, the electrician can turn three cu's into one and the henley box can be removed and I can put my cupboard up :)

So you know for sure that you are never going to want a supply to an outbuilding?
The electrician is not allowed to fit new tails direct to the meter. Chris.

Not that I've ever seen one, but isnt there a meter type with a pop off plate that allows the spark to change the tails from meter to CU because it isnt on a seal?
And try not to make the cupboard so small that I couldn't also get a switchfuse, or isolator and switchfuse, in there along with the CU and meter....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links