Consumer equipment inside the Meter Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a project where I need to split the existing tails between the meter and the consumer unit so that the tails also feed a switch / fuse to an outdoor building.

To separate the meter tails to supply the existing CU AND new switch/fuse I need to add a pair of Henley blocks. I have it in mind that these should be ok in my flush meter box if I tuck them away in one corner leaving space in case the DNO ever want to put a bigger meter in. I had my doubts whether I am allowed to put any equipment in the meter box so did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.eonenergy.com/FAQ/New-Connections/Meter-Box-Size.htm

e-on say that a space 500mm x 350mm should be provided for the meter with no consumer equipment in the meter box. This is a bit restrictive in terms of splitting the tails.

My questions are:

Q1. Is it allowable to put Henleys in the meter box?

Q2. If I'm allowed to put Henleys in there, can I also put the switch/fuse in there (leaving as much space as possible for a larger meter).

I am hoping that the space requirements that the DNOs ask for are just to make sure their meter fits and that there is no mandated restriction on fitting consumer equipment. After all, some internal meters are on a shared board with consumers equipment.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electr...-two-log-cabins.320411/#2373016#ixzz1sgd5ptdw

Sponsored Links
Technically they don't like you fitting anything to their board.
Are you sure it hasn't always been there and you don't know who put it there? ;)

Technically they don't like you fitting anything to their board.
Are you sure it hasn't always been there and you don't know who put it there? ;)

It is of course quite possible that the switch/fuse has been there for years and I've never noticed it :evil:

Sponsored Links
You're not meant to put any consumer's equipment in DNO's meter boxes, yet people have done it and got away with it.

Why can't the tails be altered so the Isco blocks and the switch-fuse are in the house?

Can you not just feed the outbuilding straight off the existing consumer unit?

You're not meant to put any consumer's equipment in DNO's meter boxes, yet people have done it and got away with it.

Why can't the tails be altered so the Isco blocks and the switch-fuse are in the house?
The tails are fully enclosed in the cavity wall, with only the cunsumer unit exposed. Plus the CU is in an upstairs cupboard with "tricky" access back downstairs again. The meter box is ideally positioned for running the cable.

One point to consider. You probably need a meter box key to open the meter box if it is the flush type in the outside wall. Will it be easy to find a key if in emergency you need to turn of that switch fuse without delay.

What about fitting your own kiosk next to the existing meter kiosk?

By recessing it into the wall you may be able to re-route the existing tails.

Then fit your Isco blocks and switch-fuse in the new kiosk.

Yep that's not a bad idea at all. Plenty of room for your equipment, and no risk of upsetting the DNO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back