Meter Tails dispute with provider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Ive just wired in a 7.5kw shower and as there were no spare ways in the CU I added an RCD unit with meter tails ready for the electric provider to fit to the meter.
The Electric provider guy came and couldnt fit the tails in as there were no space in the meter terminals.
The Guy left a note back at his office to say the contractor should have wired the tails straight into the CU. (I guess meaning via a henley block).
That thought did cross my mind on the first inspection but as the meter tails providing the whole dwelling are 10mm and as there is a small ring main, water heater, lighting and the new shower, I thought better of it.
So do I get the Electric provider to change the incoming meter tails to 25mm or do I risk getting into trouble for breaking the meter seal.

Any thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
100A DP isolator in enclosure with 25mm² tails in supply side, and 25mm² of load side to henly block feeding shower CU with 16mm², get supplier out to put your new tails to iso in meter. When he is gone simply switch the iso off and connect old board into henley (if the tails really are 10mm, upgrade them first!)

imo if you are replacing all the tails then I would make them all 25mm.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
imo if you are replacing all the tails then I would make them all 25mm.

Perhaps, not sure how easy it'd be to get 25mm² into a small shower CU though!

Adam_151 said:
100A DP isolator in enclosure with 25mm² tails in supply side, and 25mm² of load side to henly block

Thats the way we do it.

Kick off a bit and ask for an isolator or as suggested above fit your own and tell the supplier the tails need upgrading.

Any decent DNO employee would connect to your isolator while upgrading tails. ;)

I myself don't like bunching tails plus I'm not supposed to by my regs anyway, so you'd get henley's off me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back