Meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At some stage 2 extra tails were installed from the meter for a shower to be powered when an old CU was full.

Since then a new CU was installed and these extra tails were just cut and taped due to the meter being sealed.

Who would I contact to remove these extra tails?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest fitting them to a henley box if you are up to it.

If you can't then I'd go via your energy supplier who will give you contact details for the DNO that owns the service in your house.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I can't post a photo at the moment but I will try and describe it better, basically, 4 wires exit the bottom of the meter. 2 go to the main CU and 2 went to a RCD shower CU. This RCD shower CU was removed and now has direct power from the main CU. So the wires that were in use for the shower CU were cut and taped off.

I wouldn't want to touch it TBH. Would there be a charge if I got the DSO out?

Sponsored Links
Even I can tell its dangerous hence I really want it sorting. Does anyone know if there would be a cost in a DSO coming out and removing them?

DNOs vary. There might be a fixed charge for the call, sometimes they are free. The work would usually be done by a company which has the contract to fit and maintain meters, as a subcontractor. I would be surprised if they charged you as much as an hour's work.

Easiest thing would be to call the number on your electricity bill and say a redundant cable needs to be removed from the meter as equipment has been removed. You are not expected to know all the companies involved in the electricity industry, and the company who sends your bill is responsible for dealing with you as their customer.

If the person on the phone is a numbskull, send a very short letter to the address on the bill, and it will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who knows what to do.

BTW if the tail to your current CU is old and thin, it would be a good idea to get new 25mm tails fitted at about the same time. The electricity contractor will not connect to your CU though, so you or your electrician would need to coordinate the work. You could ask if they will supply and fit an isolator, though, which means the two men do not have to be on site together. Sometimes the meter engineer will call once to disconnect the old tails, then come back later in the day to re-connect the new ones that have been connected to the CU. SSE used to do that at no-charge, I don't know if they still will.

A photo of your installation will help us.

They will charge to break seal and remove them.

As mentioned your electrician should have left them in the old shower CU and since that unit had it's cabling moved on to the new main board, it would have provided a safe 'dead' termination point.

I would suggest it's cheaper to get a sparks round than a DNO guy, and that the sparks simply provides a Henley box as a dead stop for the old live tails.

Thanks again for the replies.

The wires have been cut so short I dont think a block would even fit.

I'll contact my supplier and see what the DSO would charge.

Thanks again.

Ha ha ha, I never noticed

Anyway I called the DNO they said they use to do this but not anymore and said to contact my supplier!

Seems only option is for another electrician to do the work

...You are not expected to know all the companies involved in the electricity industry, and the company who sends your bill is responsible for dealing with you as their customer.

If the person on the phone is a numbskull, send a very short letter to the address on the bill, and it will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who knows what to do....

Ha ha ha, I never noticed

Anyway I called the DNO they said they use to do this but not anymore and said to contact my supplier!

Seems only option is for another electrician to do the work

The DNO should have given you the name and telephone number of the company responsible for the meters el al - contact them and ask them to come out.

If as you say the redundant tails have been cut right back and you do not have an isolation switch between the head and the meter then it is a job for the supplier not a spark since we are not allowed to remove the suppliers main fuse which would be necessary to work safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back