Meter tails length - Is there a maximum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me if there is a maximujm distance I can place my CU from the meter using 25mm tails and a Henley black?

Sponsored Links
I recall reading somewhere 3 metres, cannot remember where at the moment, so don't quote me on it.

Gasman1015 said:
I recall reading somewhere 3 metres, cannot remember where at the moment, so don't quote me on it.

It varies from DNO to DNO, 3 metres AFAIK is the rule for quite a few of them, but I have heard of at least one that allows unlimited

Sponsored Links
3 metres sounds okay. The cU is in the cellar and the DNO are coming to move it to the outside of the house.

Desie said:
3 metres sounds okay. The cU is in the cellar and the DNO are coming to move it to the outside of the house.
do you mean the meter? having a cu outside doesn't sound too good. :LOL:

I know countless 100's that are installed in an extenal meter cabinet...

Sorry crafty. Mis-type. The meter is currently in the cellar with the CU and the meter is what is being moved.

Cheers

securespark said:
I know, but do they still do this? it sounds a bit backwards if they do. And i certainly wouldnt have a CU MOVED from inside to outside!

there is no maximum length now that they have been uprated to 25mm there used to be 2 metre max or u had to have a isolator in line

crafty1289 said:
securespark said:
I know, but do they still do this? it sounds a bit backwards if they do. And i certainly wouldnt have a CU MOVED from inside to outside!

My house was built in 1990 and the CU is outside in a concrete 'shed/cupboard' - locked and only openable (is that a word?) by anyone else on the street or anyone with a square hex key (or large flat screwdriver)!

Yes my burglar alarm does have battery backup before anyone asks where I live :LOL:

Gavin

WSDLTD said:
there is no maximum length now that they have been uprated to 25mm there used to be 2 metre max or u had to have a isolator in line
We aren't concerned with the size of the cables, its the TYPE of cable that I think is the issue. Obviously having single cores flying about the place with no protection (other than a slow-blow (in my limited experience) 100A fuse) is not a good idea for long runs. So most DNOs will demand Armoured cable for runs above 2-3 metres, so if someone cuts a live, they cut the others and it will blow the fuse immediately. The switchfuse is still required, and is usually used to terminate the SWA onto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back