Electric shower or combi boiler shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could somebody tell me which is better and cheaper to run.

I have just had a Worcester Bosch 27CDi condensing combi boiler fitted and am now having my bathroom done completely from scratch.

I have been offered a shower that would be run from the boiler or an instant electric shower.

There is no difference in the cost.

Please tell me which would be the more economical to run and which would be more powerful pressure-wise. I prefer a shower that has good water pressure and can deliver really hot water. Our water pressure is quite good!

Also if I accepted the combi boiler operated shower, what would be involved in coupling it up to the boiler etc. Would it require more piping etc going up the kitchen wall?

Sponsored Links
Very simple indeed.
Most powerful electric shower on the market: about 11 kw, and if included in the job, you are unlikely to get the best.
Your boiler: about 25 kw.

Price per kw of electric vs gas: roughly 4 to 1.

Bit of a no-brainer.

There is the cost factor involed in energy used but...

With an electric shower, if the boiler ever fails you are still able to wash!

If it's the only shower or wash facility in the house then I would always go with an electric shower when using a combi.

Or get a good boiler like the OP here has, properly installed and maintained, then you don't need a back up. You don't need 2 cars do you?

Sponsored Links

Or get a good boiler like the OP here has, properly installed and maintained, then you don't need a back up. You don't need 2 cars do you?

Yup! She who must be obeyed is out all day and gym all night and i like to have my transport as well so we have 3!! And a bike for weekends and nice evenings!

But should one breakdown i get a courtesy one from the garage!

I am one of the few on here that like WB and i very rarely have a problem with their boilers and if i do then the aftersales have been 100% spot on.

I'm just a belt and braces kinda guy and any boiler has the potential to break down. On a system boiler would you choose not to fit an immersion heater to a cylinder? :)

Have got a power shower and an on-suit electric shower. Electric shower is a waste of good water after using the power shower until this week when our boiler has packed in. its a pathetic excuse for a shower but its a shower....

And of course you need two cars drrr

Have got a power shower and an on-suit electric shower. Electric shower is a waste of good water after using the power shower until this week when our boiler has packed in. its a pathetic excuse for a shower but its a shower....

And of course you need two cars drrr

And that is why i said "if its the only means"

Thanks for the real life experiance :D

I thank everybody who replied to my post.

I think I'll settle for the mixer shower run from the boiler, (if that is the proper name for it).

One more question please before I make up my mind. Are these boiler-run showers reliable, is there much that can go wrong with them?

I have a maintenance contract with British Gas for my boiler etc, but a shower is not included!

Pressure problems due to either filters or a dodgy non return valve or a faulty cartridge.

Both pretty easily fixable and don't happen that often.

The only other thing would be a boiler fault :D

Why do you have a maintenance contract with ****ish gas???
Your boiler comes with a full parts and labour guarantee for at least 2 years.

Apart from the paying double, it is unlikely that you actually have a SERVICE contract.

The vast majority of people pay between £100 and £200 a year for a BREAKDOWN service (not needed in your case for a few years) or an annual SAFETY check (NOT including a service).

The safety check includes little more than checking for gasleaks ( free from Transco 0800 111 999 if you think you smell gas) and measuring the fumes from the flue to see if they are within spec (which they will be when the boilers gets serviced annually).

bengasman

I had thought of taking my British Gas contract with me when I move house, as it covers me for pipework and TRVs. I only got a new boiler and 5 new radiators. I didn't get the pipework renewed.

My Worcester Bosch 27 boiler is actually guaranteed for FIVE YEARS provided I have it serviced once a year.

Do you think this is a better option than paying a British Gas Homecare 200 Agreement even although I didn't get the radiator pipework renewed?

If your boiler has been installed properly, and it seems it has been, you system has been thoroughly cleaned, rinsed, and treated with inhibitor.
If you make a note on the service log of the boiler to add another bottle of inhibitor in year 2, and from there on every third year, it is extremely unlikely that you will have problems with pipes/radiators or valves.

Just keep good friends with the chap that fitted you boiler, keep him to maintain it and put the 200 quid a year that you save in a “high interest” account. It will accumulate to more than enough to replace the current boiler by the time you will need to, and provided you have the inhibitor levels kept up, you will probably still be using the same pipes and rads.

Pleas note that inhibitor protects against corrosion, but not against nails, screws or mechanical abuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back