Electric Shower or Instant water heater - advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I was hoping someone could help me answer which would be the better option to get.

At the moment I'm using a Triton T80z (8.5kw) shower and 3.5kw arisen water storage heater for my bathroom tap.

I'm looking to redo another bathroom I have but this time use a Redring Powerstream Unvented Instantaneous Water Heater 12kw for the shower (with therm mixer taps) and the sink tap.

But I was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison between a real electric shower and the instantaneous heater and could give some real advice.

I've got some questions:
How is the flow rate in comparison
How long do they last for needing to be replaced
Which would be the better method of doing things
How does the snowy winters we are now having affect the temp (I know it will reduce it - but which would give a high temp/flow rate).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flow rate on instant water heaters & showers will be feeble compared to any stored hot water system.
These things last until limescale blocks them, which depending on use could be as little as 18 months - 2 years.

As for the 12kW heater - is the electrical supply at the property suitable for such a substantial load? Many are not.

If you want decent temperature and flow, then stored hot water is the answer.

Hi thanks for your reply.

The electrical supply isn't a problem at all. And I do know that in comparison to a storage system the flow rate isn't going to be great but space is an issue; and for that reason Im trying to decide on either 8.5kw electric shower or 12kw instant water heater.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back