Electric shower-overheating neutral terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Yesterday I smelled a burning smell after using the (8.5kw) Creda electric shower. Having taken the cover off, the neutral terminal of the built in junction box has gone black and melted, along with the sheathing of the neutral wire that goes to the mains. The neutral wire that goes to the shower seems unaffected.

The shower has been installed for over 2 years with no problems at all until now.

Having looked at a few posts it seems like the problem could have been a loose connection. If so should I cut back to non-scorched sheathing and get a new junction box? Trouble is, the wire from the wall was only just long enough as it is and if I cut it back, it's going to fall short I think.

Would be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It will almost certainly be because of a loose termination - they get looser over time as they get hotter and hotter.

You'll need to replace the junction box and, somehow, get the connection made onto bright copper or the prob will re-occur. If the cable is too short then crimping or soldering a new short piece is probably the best option. You might need a spark to do this for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back