electric shower not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an electric shower for several years which has suddenly stopped working. I am getting power to the shower as the red light comes on, but when I turn the shower on the red light goes out and there is power travelling down the neutral line. It is a 8.5kw shower run with 6mm cable - there seems to be some burning on the neutral wire at the 45amp switch - do I need to replace the wiring as I have replaced the switch with no effect.

Sponsored Links
The "burning on the neutral" is where the wire has previously been loose in the terminal, leading to arcing which, over time, has degraded the copper and brass and caused your problem. The wiring needs to be cut back to a point where it is undamaged (you can tell when you reach this point as the copper will be malleable instead of rock hard), then refitted to the terminals. Hopefully the original installer will have left enough slack cable for this to be achieved, otherwise extending the cable will become more interesting.

When you refit the switch make sure the terminal screws are properly tight otherwise you'll have a repeat of the problem in a year or two.

PJ

The "burning on the neutral" is where the wire has previously been loose in the terminal, leading to arcing which, over time, has degraded the copper and brass and caused your problem. The wiring needs to be cut back to a point where it is undamaged (you can tell when you reach this point as the copper will be malleable instead of rock hard), then refitted to the terminals. Hopefully the original installer will have left enough slack cable for this to be achieved, otherwise extending the cable will become more interesting.

When you refit the switch make sure the terminal screws are properly tight otherwise you'll have a repeat of the problem in a year or two.

PJ

Thanks for that - I will probably just renew the complete run again. Is it alrightto use 6mm cable for the 8.5kw shower or do I need to go to 10mm

Sponsored Links
I have rewired the whole cable run in 10mm - still not working. However when I looked more closely at the Memera 2000 cu - I found that the neutral side had gone completely. The switch that is now burned out was a 63A pod - I have a spare rccb rated at 80A, can I use this or will I have to replace with original main switch pod?

Not quite sure which is what.

Can we have a picture please?

Or a description of all the breakers left to right.

Not quite sure which is what.

Can we have a picture please?

Or a description of all the breakers left to right.
the 1st picture shows the cu as it is, but I need to replace the right hand side as the neutral line is not working. The 2nd picture is what I want to replace this with - part on the left is the original (straight swap) part on the right is a 80A rccb - hope this makes sense.

Yes, it should have been an RCCB all along (unless it has been there for a long time).

Make sure the RCCB says 30mA or 0.03A.

Also that the test button works.

Yes, it should have been an RCCB all along (unless it has been there for a long time).

Make sure the RCCB says 30mA or 0.03A.

Also that the test button works.

The rccb has 80A and also states 0.03A on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back