electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently have a 7kw elec shower with under sized cable 4mm. This is fed off the cold water feed. The shower is at the same hight as the water tank which is in the same bathroom.
rather than upgrading in size of cable which would mean a lot work getting the cable up into the bathroom, would it be possible to add a pump next to the tank and have a mains water powered shower.
Any suggestions welcome, currently the shower is not very powerfull and goes cold in the winter months.

Sponsored Links
your post is abit confusing.

you want to fit a pump next to the cws and run what a mixer valve ?

not necessarly install a pump becuase im not sure how it all works pluming side of things, so i was just after the best options really, best way forward, to avaoid putting in a new electric shower and up grading to 10mm cable

Any mains fed shower will require a minimum 6mm cable. You may get away with up to 8kW on a 6mm cable, 10mm is for anything above that or long cable runs. Only alternative is a mixer shower which will require hot and cold water supplies.

Pumped versions require a mains supply but nowhere near the current for an electric shower. Basically you either need to change the cable or the plumbing.....

Sponsored Links
im ok with the electrical side of things, i was just wanting to know,if the tank is at the same hight as the shower would there be enough pressure to supply a hot water feed to the shower as well or would a pump need to be installed?

It would be unlikely you'd get more than a dribble from a mixer shower if the shower head is less than a metre below the cold storage. Pump would assist matters, but you'd need to choose one that could cope with your setup.

if your cws is in the cupboard above the cylinder i can't see it being very big
what litres does it hold ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back