Electric Shower Ratings.

Tc7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may need to replace my Gainsborough electric shower for a Creda shower. Only thing is that the broken Gainsborough is rated at 10.5w and the possible Creda replacement is rated at 8.5w.

The Creda is a £50-00 bargin but a certain household member is worried that future showers wont be as powerful as with the old 10.5w Gainsborough! We have great water pressure BTW.

How does the Wattage rating work for showers. Would 2 Watts really make a difference?

Thanks.

Tc

Sponsored Links
2000watts ;)

Yes it will make a difference - on both performance and your lecky bill!

The lower the wattage, the slower you have to have the flow of water through the shower to provide the same temperature output of water.

A higher power shower will let you turn up the flow of water to give a fast, hot shower.

A shower raises the temperature of water by a set amount - so a higher power shower is also better in winter when the water in the pipes is really cold.

A 9.5kw is a typical size these days.

the specific heat capacity of water is 4200 that means its takes 4200 Joules of energy to raise the temperature of one kilogram (one litre) of water by one degree centigrade

A watt is a joule per second, if you multiply the flow rate by the temperature rise needed (higher in winter), by the flow rate, you'll get 10500 for the old one and 8500 for the new ones, so you'll have to settle for colder showers or less powerful showers with the new unit

(the temperature dial doen't actually do anything with the power of the shower, it just adjusts the flow rate :) )

P.S. Have a look in argos, they seem to have some good prices on tritton 9.5kw units atm

try homebase (same company as argos) and also foucs.

As you have had the gainsborough experience i presume you know it would not be a good idea to buy another gainsborough!

I personally prefer triton.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys. The only benefit I would receive by buying a new Gainsborough would be a simple swap job (plumbing and electrics). Im a bit worried about swapping it for another brand which will have different fixtures and fittings.

Tc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back