Elec Shower Questions

i know its unlikely, but im just telling the OP what might happen.
No - you're scaremongering to make a point.
no i'm not
It is so unlikely that it can be disregarded.
is that your advice to the OP?
If you feel comfortable with it, why don't you tell the OP to ignore the potential consequences.
Nobody can tell him to do that.
why not?

I currently have now power or lighting in the garden, if I want to install an outside socket or outside light - do I really have to inform the local authority building regulators? - and if I don't, how would they find out and what could they do about it?

Yes, you really should. I don't know how they would find out, but its possible. If that happens, you could be looking at a £5000 fine and obliged to rip it out and start again at your cost!
2. If you ever find any examples of people being prosecuted when all they have done wrong is to fail to notify, please let us know. There have been prosecutions when people have done dangerous work, fraudulently claimed to be registered, falsified certificates etc, and had failing to notify lobbed into the pot, but AFAIK never for just not notifying.

That is not to be construed as advice to ignore the law.
HI BAS,
RE, 2 above. I think we have discussed this elsewhere and i agree with you.

Sponsored Links
i think building PCs is easy, done a few myself. I think plugging cat5 leads into panels is easy, but without any direct experience, i think i would be nervous trying to install a newtwork of 5000 terminals into a hospital or similar by myself where the only information resources i have are from strangers on an internet forum. (BTW, what test equipment do you have

building pc is easy ? but i "must" it is the only way pay 300 quid now, get an electrician to wire in a CU, well i can tell you that you can die from building a pc and i have seen people be electrocuted and go to hospital.

Ethernet cable = 2.2v to 3.15v and it is just as easy to install 5000 patch cables as it is to install 1, working with crts and psu's would be a better example heres an arcade cabinet i built for myself many years ago i used "plans from the internet" for the design based on a 1980's Centipede machine

cabi.jpg

i do feel scaremongerd from some of the posts, which on the balance of things i'd say is not helpfull as i am not rushing anything

work that has been done in past is fitted residual current device (RCD), fitted shower side of the fuse

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/90026...ylex-Fully-Insulated-RCD-Shower-Consumer-Unit

9.5kw shower replaced with 8.5kw

you can die from riding a bike, baking a cake, cooking chips, drinking too much etc, the list goes on. The point i was trying to make is that you are not sure about safe isolation, which makes swapping a CU considerably more life threatening that installing a PCI card or a HDD. Im not say you can't, im just illustrating the pit falls of doing this job yourself.

Your not alone with being financially challenged, but that isn't a get-out-of-jail card, for anyone. Would you decide not to insure your house/car etc simply cos thing were a bit tight?

I don't wish to seem unfriendly, but the 'im skint' story probably won't endear yourself to anyone, the credit crunch has affected most.

However, should you wish to ignore the unlikely yet possible out come, go for it. BAS has already advised you that you can ignore the potential of a fine. If you could only get that in a written signed statement to this effect, maybe his professional indemnity insurance might coff up if it goes wrong.
what do you think to the following :-

'Bite the bullet, get an electrician to do it safely, legally and you give the design headache to him and get a warranty in return.'

'The notification fees alone for this job make it expensive as a DIY
project.'

'simple, but illegal and dangerous if you don't do it correctly.'

'If it's a simple case of saving money, the likelihood is if you employed an electrician that is registered with a scheme provider it will work out cheaper and safer, than taking this work on yourself and doing it legally.' - PBoD

'Don't forget to inform the LABC. Otherwise if they find out, you will have to pay the fee anyway and if the work is wrong then you may be asked to put it right.' -mfarrow.

'Don't even think about opening the meter. As you have been told, get hold of a competent electrician to do the job. You will save money and still be legal.' -wingcoax

Have you investigated how much your local council charges for notification?
Do you understand their requirements?
have you compared the cost of doing it yourself against how mucha registered spark would charge?
Im not sure, but if your intention is to keep it legal, i don't think you will save as much as you think by DIYing this job.

BTW, as mfarrow has said, if the council find out you will have to pay the fee anyway. I have it in my mind that they will up the price by 20% for 'regularisation of unnotified work'

BTW, nice job on the arcade m/c :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of the advice from everyone i will take it under consideration

and it is just as easy to install 5000 patch cables as it is to install 1

That's just not true, and I invite you to try it, and see what happens with regard to cable management once you get to 100+ cables in a single cabinet.

IMGP2862.jpg

Here's a patch cabinet we installed last yer. It's not cat5, but needed some serious cable management.

IMGP3329.jpg

if i had 4 32 port hubs/switches i could patch 100 cables in no worrys, just the same as 1 hub/switch

Plug a patch cable into a free port and it should work.

nice pics tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back