Shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and I wonder if someone can point in in the right direction to go. My old shower give up on me (7.5kw) and now I have bought a new one (9.5kw) wiring is 10mm and length is around 20m going into a memera 3 cu 30amp fuse. Would it be possible to put in a 45amp fuse carrier instead of the 30amp fuse carrier and put a 40amp fuse in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
And how did you convert the width of the cable into the cross sectional area of the conductors?

Sponsored Links
Wrong way to measure it.

Given the age of your consumer unit, your cable may well be as small as 4mm2, which is woefully too small for your new shower.

Memera 3 also suggests you may not have adequate RCD protection either.

Photos would help.

Is the bare (may be in earth sleeving) earth wire in your shower cable a single solid core or 7 smaller strands twisted together?

Earth wire is single core

Attachments

• 20210316_211329.jpg
    20210316_211329.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210316_211011.jpg
    20210316_211011.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 101
Possibly 6mm2 if you say that's a single solid earth wire. Looks stripey in the pic.

Can you take a picture of that unit just partly visible to the right of the consumer unit?

Last edited:
Would it be possible to put in a 45amp fuse carrier
Extremely unlikely, all parts for that board are obsolete, any that do exist will be used tat from the likes of ebay.
45A were rarely used even when they were available new.

As there is no RCD, the new shower can't be installed unless you consider ignoring both the manufacturer's instructions and BS7671 is an appropriate thing to do.

Ok. Thanks for all the advice. What if I went back to a 7.5kw again
You are still going to need an RCD, and 7.5Kw is weedy. Why don’t you do it properly. new circuit, RCD.

. Really, replace that ancient dist board, you know you are going to need to do it soon.
No other new electrical work is going to comply with regs until you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back