electric shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what i can gather from info on this site, as a compitent person with electrics (but not Part P certified) I am allowed to replace my now nackered electric shower with a new one. Is this correct?

The existing circuit is not RCD protected (old fuse box), when we had a cooker circuit installed by a local sparky, he installed a stand alone RCD to protect that circuit. Is it worth doing the same thing for the replacement shower? would that be a notifiable job?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it would be notifiable since you are replacing the circuit AND adding current level circuit protection (RCD + MCB or RCBO).

If all you were doing is replacing a cable 'like for like' it would be mtce.

doesn't say replacing cable, just the shower itself..

you'd be wise to install ( or to get installed ) an RCD, your shower waranty may be void if you don't because it's almost certain that the manufacturers instructions will want you to..

the size of the existing cable will limit you as to the size of the new shower.

changing like for like may not even be possible if it was installed badly in the first place ( I've seen 8KW showers wired in 4mm off the back of a ringmain before now.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back