Shower change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I remove an 8kw shower and replace with a power shower, use the same wiring (or possibly smaller cable from the switch) and change the MCB for a 6amp, is the work notifiable? The circuit is RCD protected

Sponsored Links
The work is presumably in a bathroom, so would be notifiable because of that.

I would have thought replacing the MCB is effectively installing a new circuit (I might be wrong, but that's how I would interpet it), which would make it notifiable for that as well.

From a practical point of view, while what you describe sounds like it would be safe, it would be very confusing for anybody working on the system in the future, to see what is probably 6/10mm cable on a 6A circuit / supplying a power shower - personally I'd run a new cable of the correct size...

From a practical point of view, while what you describe sounds like it would be safe, it would be very confusing for anybody working on the system in the future, to see what is probably 6/10mm cable on a 6A circuit / supplying a power shower - personally I'd run a new cable of the correct size...

I doubt any competent electrician would be confused with that arrangement.

Could the existing cable supplying the shower isolator be diverted to an adequate position to be terminated into a switched fused connection unit (unlikely if it's 10mm²) which would then supply the pump for the power shower?
You could either leave the MCB as it is or replace it with a 16A MCB. Either way, overload protection would be via the BS1362 fuse in the FCU with the MCB providing short-circuit protection.

Either that or spur off from the upstairs ring final, bearing in mind that 30mA RCD protection must be added and your LABC must be notified under Part P of the building regulations.

Sponsored Links
This is exactly how our power shower was rigged up when we moved in, 6amp MCB feeding 10mm through the DP isolator to a JB where it was connected to some flex to the unit.

It was nice and easy to install an electric shower when the boiler was condemned :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back