shower running without rcd protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just moved into a house, the shower has no rcd protection, it is 8kw, it is fed with a 6mm cable, which is 9metres long, the cable runs into the loft and is pinned above the insulation, then down the house wall in plastic conduit to the consumer unit where it is connected to a 40 amp mcb. My plan is to break the cable run in the loft, and connect one of these :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPN-ECU04...ectrical_ET&hash=item2569b9bbdb#ht_2335wt_932
is this a good plan ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Cant you simply replace the MCB with an RCBO?

Having the RCD in the loft is somewhat undesirable, if you were going to mount a standalone unit surely it would make more sense to put it beside the CU?

i'm not too keen to play around with consumer unit, as there is no isolation switch, also the house has solar panels fitted, thats why i thought it would be easier to fit a separate rcd on the board in the attic where the solar panel controls are

Im not a qualified sparky, but would do it in the consumer unit, either with a RCBO or feeding the MCB with and additaional/existing RCd.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
That pile of cack off ebay is the wrong thing to use, and putting it in the loft is the wrong place.

Get it done properly at the consumer unit.

rf, so is better just to leave it as it on a 40 mcb with no rcd protection ?
I know they had showers for years, just on wire fuses, i thought the attic might be good, as there is a switch gear `board in there for the panels, which i could mount it on, the shower cable runs right next to it

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thats why i'd prefer to install a separate rcd unit, there isnt enough play in the cable near the cu, thats why i thought of putting on the solar panel board that it is in the attic

I agree with what others have said; an RCBO in the CU is the way to go. And if you don't have an isolation switch on your CU, ( :eek: :eek: :eek: ) now would be a good time to get one fitted between CU and meter.

OP, do you main there is no main switch on your consumer unit?

This would be unusual, and I don't think complies to BS5486 / BSEN 60934 for a domestic consumer unit, therefore what you have is probably a lash up of separate parts without any proper type approval

or do you merely mean that there is no isolator between the m/s and the meter, which is notmal in 90% of installations

adam, there is an isolator on the cu, but i wouldnt be comfortable working in there without taking out the main fuse, its further complicated due to feed in from solar panels, there is a notice in there saying you cant isolate without contacting the solar company, thats why i thought, right turn off the shower mcb, circuits dead, install rcd on board in attic, job done

further idea, does anyone know whether you can buy a shower rcd switch ? at the moment, the shower has a neon switch on the hallway wall behind the shower, i could change that for an rcd switch, but i've only seen 13amp rcd swtiches, unless anyone knows different ?

You could fit a separate RCD in an enclosure next to the cu if there is sufficient cable to do it. Don't fit it in the loft; no one but you will know it's there, it's inconvenient and amateurish.

or

If your consumer unit will accept an RCBO I suggest you get an electrician to fit it for you. Get someone recommended, and it shouldn't cost a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back