WYLEX RCD 63A 30mA.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a new consumer unit for a qualified electrician (Part P) to fit, Is a WYLEX RCD 63A 30mA. Ok to buy to connect to a 9.5KW shower, already installed, With 10mm cable 15 meters? It goes up a plasterboard wall then acroos the loft to bathroom, i have to buy all mcb's/ rcd's seperate for consumer unit, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is this consumer unit SOLELY for the shower, or do you intend to run everything through it ???

If the answer is the latter, forget it, you'll be best with a split board that has a 100A main switch and at least an 80 amp RCD. Tlc have Wylex 100A Main Switched, 80A RCD 12 way splits for £36 plus £3 per breaker which is a good deal.

Suprprised the electrician never told you what he recommended. Are you sure he's part P ??

Have not got a sparky lined up for the job yet i am on holiday in june so buying parts now ready for the job, Electrician can do it while i am on hols, i have already ordered a consumer unit, same as you mentioned, I have also bought the wylex RCD, WHAT CAN I USE THE RCD for then, Later i will be building a garage can i connect garage to this???

get a new consumer unit. stop fussy-footing around the issue and adding on.

Sponsored Links
i have already ordered a consumer unit, same as you mentioned, I have also bought the wylex RCD, WHAT CAN I USE THE RCD for then will it not just fit in the board somewhere to use later?, Later i will be building a garage can i connect garage to this???

normally you use a split load board. this has either a 100ma time delayed rcd and a 30ma 80A RCD in or a main 100A isolator and a 30ma 80A RCD. You can put fixed appliances such as a cooker as long as the cooker switch hasn't got an incorporated socket in which case it needs to go on the 30ma RCD, lights heating ect. Then everything else goes on the other side of the split load board which is protected by the 30ma RCD such as sockets, showers, bathroom equipment anything outside such as garages. I suggest you get a qualified part p sparky to tell you what you need.!!!!!!!!

Briansmad said:
I have also bought the wylex RCD, WHAT CAN I USE THE RCD for then
isnt it a better idea to determine a use before you buy something ?

if u plan to get an electrician in, then its probably better idea to let him/her just buy the parts as they will know what they plans to do, and it should all be done with the right parts then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back