electric shower safety/legality?

Read this: http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

Tell me if you think it is correct, and if statements like "DIY doctor will continue to publish projects involving minor works which are permitted under the new regulations" constitute accurate advice concerning what people are allowed to do....

Actually no - don't tell me - it's not relevant to this forum - the only reason I posted what I did above was to warn the OP.

Sponsored Links
Gents, thank you for your assistance...some of you now appear to be at odds with each other over what is the correct answer to my question. I have an electrician mate who'll be doing the work for me. All I wanted was a bit of background info, now I don't know my right from my left. Thanks again. :confused:

Heres one for ban before I disappear for the evening...part p bits aside (they seem to have been dropped in afterwards)... but they don't seem to be crediting the source for that shower article anymore, 5 points for memory if you can recall.... :LOL: (simon as well)

Ok, I'll put you out of your misery.

I personally don't think 6mm² is big enough to run a 9.5kW shower, especially so if it is bunched or run in insulation or trunking.

If the CU has a main switch <100A, then the CU is not up to the job, similarly if you do not have RCD protection for that circuit.

Have you got MEB's, SB, A 100A main fuse, a meter that can handle 100A, 25mm² tails with 16mm² MEC?

Adam, sorry, I can't!

I did co-write an article on shower installation with FWL/ Big Spark years ago, but don't know what became of it...

Sponsored Links
Gents, thank you for your assistance...some of you now appear to be at odds with each other over what is the correct answer to my question. I have an electrician mate who'll be doing the work for me. All I wanted was a bit of background info, now I don't know my right from my left. Thanks again. :confused:
I think the answers you got were all pretty consistent, i.e. it might be, it might not be, it depends...

And it really does - the current carrying capacity of a cable depends on a lot of factors, none of which we know in your case.

When Anteaus said it should be OK, providing.. providing.. providing.., that's really just a re-phrasing of "it might be, it depends..."

And then when push came to shove, you got the only safe definite answer we can give - it's not OK.

When your electrician friend actually has a look, and can see all the things which might affect whether it's OK he might well decide that it is.

All I wanted was a bit of background info
You should have said - you can read all about the background to "it depends" here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back