Electric Shower - The Mystery Third Pipe and What to Replace With?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I'm currently ripping out my en suite shower (700mm to 900mm), in there at the moment is a Galaxy Obsession Deluxe 9.5kw. It has three pipes going in, I see two from the floor (assuming hot/cold, quite large pipes - slightly larger than 15mm) and a white plastic one from the ceiling. Single electrics lead from the ceiling too.

This is the only reference I have:

I'm going to replace this with something better, however, the third plastic pipe is a mystery to me?

On the same subject, what should I be looking at to replace this with? I'd be looking for 5+ years usage out of it (before selling the house)
Thankyou for any help!

Sponsored Links
Your shower only needs a cold water supply ,and electric cable . Can you show pics of the pipes entering the shower ?

Hi Terry - will put photos on in the morning (too dark in there at the moment), I've done more investigation and can see the (assumed) hot water capped off right just behind the unit, will get the torch out to look at the other side

It's such a small room - 2.8m x 900mm (including shower!) and a small window

Large were hot & cold from the stored water system for an old gravity mixer shower.
White plastic is the new mains pressure cold supply for the electric shower.

Sponsored Links
Large were hot & cold from the stored water system for an old gravity mixer shower.
White plastic is the new mains pressure cold supply for the electric shower.

Thanks flame
At the moment there is an old boiler under the stairs (redrow house, say no more), a water cylinder in the main bathroom, and in the loft are two huge black tanks with various pipes coming out of them, and there is a small water expansion tank up there.

I'm aiming to get rid of all this at a point for a combi and get that loft boarded, so much wasted space up there

@terryplumb
@flameport

I've had a good look this morning, just behind this both bottom pipes are capped, I'll get those under the flooring soon enough

That white pipe I'm going to see where that leads to, this first section of the false wall is going, and I'm filling all walls with sound proofing

In terms of a new (assume electric) shower, are there any half decent ones around nowadays, or all much the sameness?

IMG_20220822_135248.jpg
IMG_20220822_135335.jpg
IMG_20220822_135304.jpg

The white pipe will be connected to what would typically be the cold feed to the attic cistern.

If you have a vented HW cylinder then you may be able to run/convert the piping to gravity fed hot and cold supply pipes and install a Triton AX2000 SR which has its own inbuilt pump and will give a flowrate of 14 LPM which would equate roughly to the output from a 30kw combi.

If you go the combi route as you plan to, I would keep the electric shower, if you have another shower in the property, that runs off the DHW, as a back up if boiler is out of action.

If it's your only shower, then it makes sense to convert it to DHW but you will not have back up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back