Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative of mine has wiring installed for an 8.5 shower. Apparently, the electrician has fitted a 10.5 shower. Does this matter, is it dangerous?

Sponsored Links
It could be dangerous, in which case it would matter.

To determine the correct cable size, you need to start with the current drawn, which will be up to 43.75 Amps for a 10.5kW shower, and then take into account derating factors. In some installations the cable length will also be a factor.

What's the size of the cable currently in use?

More importantly, what is the rating of the fuse/mcb currently protecting the circuit ?

:eek: Hello, am I missing something as I would be confirming cable size, length and installation method first here, as the electrician may have just installed a incorrect mcb/fuse ??
I agree that the current rating in operation is also a major factor, I just think the cable is 'more important'in this case.
Not being picky Fing, just my way of thinking. ;)

Regards

Ed

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the cable size the CPD rating is not more important, it's less important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back