Electric Showers - KW and relation to pressure/flowrate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals,

Something that always keeps me guessing is the relationship between an electric showers KW and whether you get a higher water pressure. I know that the higher KW showers heat the water up quicker but is that where it ends.

Is there a calculation relating the the KW difference for advising as to the difference in pressure if any. Is an 9.5kw 10%(ish) more powerful than an 8.5 for example

Is it really worth upgrading a cable from 6mm to 10mm (plus fuses etc.) and installing a higher KW shower, will the customer notice much of a difference?

Customers often ask me, my electric shower pressure is crap, what can I do. I know there are several options of varying cost and work(i.e. mixers with pump off gravity), but can it be simple matter of upgrading the cable/fuses and shower KW.

There we go, knock yourselves out on the answers folks, hopefully some will match up! l

Sponsored Links
If you are in the trade I would expect you to know that the larger the Kw input, the greater flow rate of water can be heated through a given temperature rise.

The pressure is not specifically affected by the Kw heater rating, that is another rather surprising comment from someone in the trade. At a higher Kw, a proportionally greater flow rate can be delivered at the same temperature rise.

Until you get a 24Kw electric shower, you are not going to rival a shower off a gas combi. The would be 100amps, single phase, on 24mm tails. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back