Electric Showers....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone advise of these. Basically living in the northeast of Scotland in the winter we both find that a 10-12kw just can't provide the FLOW and TEMPERATURE we desire.

The NEW showers have that stupid "Anti-scald" valve system we find that we both need the shower at MAX to get really hot water(shower), in winter.

Our water from the mains is somewhere about 4DegC in the winter and is about 8degC in summer.

Basically in the summer we both have the shower at about 6 on the dial but in winter we both had it at max and complaining the water is not hot enough and it just can produce a good flow to get wet under We upgraded / downgraded the shower from a MIRA to a Gainsbrough 10.5Se and found this to be the same (Linky

So can anyone find or recommend a shower that doesn't have the "Over temperature protection system - protects users from selecting an unsafe temperature" feature.....

Funnily enough our son is have the same problem and with his new shower his g/f was complaining - "don;t go hot enough"....

Sponsored Links
There's probably some Chinese stuff on evilbay that will scald you quite nicely...

10-12kW gives a shower that is ... crap. Sorry, no other word for it. Crap in summer and absolutely useless in winter. I haven't seen more powerful ones but maybe they exist.

Sponsored Links
15 Years ago when I first put in an electric shower it was warm in Winter it is this new EEC directive that says we must be european and have a shower no hotter than 37 Degc. FINE if you live in SPAIN and want to cool off..... :evil:

15 Years ago when I first put in an electric shower it was warm in Winter it is this new EEC directive that says we must be european and have a shower no hotter than 37 Degc. FINE if you live in SPAIN and want to cool off..... :evil:

Nothing to do with why your shower was only warm in winter.
Thats to do with the mains water supply to the shower is so cold.

All electric showers work in the same manor they restrict the flow of water flowing through the unit in order to raise the water temperature - so the more time that the water spends in the unit the hotter it becomes.
In winter the temperature in the cold mains can be so low that in order to get a warm shower the flow will need to become very slow.
Restrict it too much and the unit will sense that it could scald you and then the thing cuts completely out leaving you with soap in your eyes :D
You then reset the unit by turning it back on only to be hit by a blast of the extra scalding super heated hot water that as now built up in the unit!!
The anti scald device has now done the exact opposite that it's designed to do!!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is showers aren't perfect and have limitations.
servotech,

Restrict it too much and the unit will sense that it could scald you and then the thing cuts completely out leaving you with soap in your eyes :D
You then reset the unit by turning it back on only to be hit by a blast of the extra scalding super heated hot water that as now built up in the unit!!
The anti scald device has now done the exact opposite that it's designed to do!!

Then your shower has a flow issue.
No electric shower tco will activate until about 57 degrees on the 1st stage.

seco you need to lighten up a bit!
my post is very tongue in cheek (you know humourous :D ).
It is also very true...
servotech,

sorethumb, it depends what kind of shower you're used to.

If you've previously had a power shower or a mains fed mixer, an electric shower will be very dissapointing to you.

Your shower doesnt have a limiter for temperature. It has its own limiter, which is the capacity of heat the elements can give off in a period of time. If a safety feature/anti-scald activates, the water will run stone cold.

OOI, women will always complain the shower aint hot enough - they arent happy unless the room is a sauna, IME.

How electric showers work is to get hotter water they slow it down, so it spends longer in the heater can.

You do have the power setting (0,1,2) on max, I take it? Most people do all the time. This selector lets you choose one element or two elements, and is the only adjustment to the actual power being used. Some showers have 3 settings - a small element, large element, and both together.

What hot water arrangements do you have in your house? I have a feeling some other type of shower would be more appropriate for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back