Electric socket in toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This room is going to be a shower at thefar end with a glass screen , then a toilet just below the gas meter and a sink in the corner next to the toilet.
Can I put an electric socket somewhere in that room?

Sponsored Links
Shower at the far end?

Near those socket boxes?

If the room contains a shower or bath, then a socket may be fitted provided it is a minimum of 3m away from the edge of the shower or bath, suited to its environment and protected by 30mA RCD.

Shower at the far end?

Near those socket boxes?

If the room contains a shower or bath, then a socket may be fitted provided it is a minimum of 3m away from the edge of the shower or bath, suited to its environment and protected by 30mA RCD.

Sorry where you see the sockets is a different room, a wall will be built between the 2 walls just behind the pipes; just after the mirror.
Also is an electric socket safe next to the gas meter?
3 meters seem a lot, many people have a socket for a shaver next to the sink?

Yes, a shaver socket made to a particular standard is allowable in Z2. But I assume you're talking about a 13A one?

If you just want a shaver socket, that's OK.

Any electrical equipment is OK next to the gas meter, provided it is spaced according to regs.

BS 6891:2005 requires that electrical equipment be seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 150mm and electrical cables by seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 25mm.

I would include the gas meter in this as well.

Sponsored Links
The owner of domestic property is required to notify and gain permission to do certain work in their home.

The builder and/or electrician may arrange for this to take place but it is down to the owner to ensure they do.

Part P is a part of the building regulations about electrics. One can either notify direct to LABC with can cost a lot although when combined with other notifiable work may not. Or you can use an electrician who is a member of a scheme and as such he can self certify and the LABC is informed after the event rather than before.

Not all work is notifiable but bathrooms (a shower is considered as bathroom) kitchens and outside does require notifying.

The 3 meter rule on sockets in a bathroom replaced the special bedroom regulation for when showers are included in a bedroom. I don't think it is really so you can have sockets in a bathroom its really there for when showers are put in a bedroom which is then classed as a bathroom.

Shaver sockets are special cases they use an isolated supply with a very low current rating and can only supply one item. Often not continually rated so you have to be careful if you want to charge a tooth brush from them as some can't do it.

Excuse me for my ignorance but I am only the female owner and not in charge of the work. What is part p?
One of the parts of the Building Regulations, it covers electrical work in your extension in the same way that Part A covers the structural aspects, part B fire resistance, Part G the installation of the WC, Part L energy efficiency etc.

The reason I asked what I did is that depending what you told Building Control about who would be doing the electrical work etc, the advice here might need to be "you need to ask your electrician about that, as he is the one taking responsibility for it".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back