Electric Sockets 450mm high???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the 450mm rule for mounting sockets and lights between 450mm and 1200mm, is this an actual mandatory requirement???

Some say yes some say no, my BC said yes but then I have read it is only good practice???

Another thing if this is enforced is it only downstairs where wheelchairs can go or upstairs too?

Sponsored Links
diybristol said:
On the 450mm rule for mounting sockets and lights between 450mm and 1200mm, is this an actual mandatory requirement???

Some say yes some say no, my BC said yes but then I have read it is only good practice???

Another thing if this is enforced is it only downstairs where wheelchairs can go or upstairs too?

it only applies to new builds. AFAIK, not re-wires etc.

diybristol said:
Extension (new build) ?

i think they might apply, but best wait til someone who has a better idea answers. altho i would try and keep them to the zones anyway

Sponsored Links
It's just about mandatory on new builds and total refurbs. Extensions aren't a new build.

The height of 450mm is only one way of meeting the regulations for disabled access. Another way would be to have lower sockets, but extension cables at the appropriate height which could be plugged in and hooked on screws at the right height. When there is no disabled person around they could be unplugged, and the screws removed. Light switches could be on the X10 system so could be anywhere. All this in rooms where disabled visitors could go, so not necessary in bedrooms. The aim is to allow disabled visitors to be able to survive if left on their own while you pop out to the shops, but not so far as to be totally done up for a disbaled home owner who would have to do changes to suit their particular disablity.

Anyway in your situation the best practise is to have sockets and switches at the same height as the rest of the house.

Hi thanks for reply, the building control said they are mandatory though on extensions???

where can i get this saying it isn't?

also what is the Light switches could be on the X10 system?

Cheers

Hi thanks for reply, the building control said they are mandatory though on extensions??? [/quote]

That's because BC are only human and they are not necessarily experts. They sometimes pretend to be and get away with it because the generally do know more than the homeowner. I know of one situation where a BC told a builder to dig deeper foundations for an extension, but the builder didn't want to because of the danger of causing damage to a house, he went ahead anyway, and the BC got into big trouble when cracks appeared on the house. As another example you just have to look at the variation between councils on their definition of Part P!. :)

diybristol said:
also what is the Light switches could be on the X10 system?

X10 is the home automation system where signals are sent around the house through the mains so you could control a light, or a curtain closer, or fan, etc. More info here - http://www.x10.co.uk/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back