electric tester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there a need to be qualified electrician to do the ins n test course 2391 and would appreciate any advise i am now in my 40 n want to better myself thanks

Sponsored Links
No college worth its salt would let you take the course without having done C&G 236 Pts 1&2 (or 2330 as it is now), and possibly 16th edition as well. The level of understanding required for 2391 cannot be acquired overnight, not to mention the practical experience needed to put the info into practice.
I'm not trying to put you off a career change, if I can pass the 2391 I'm sure you can, but you need to take a longer route than you think!

Like everything in life, experience counts and allows for a correct application of the knowledge.

It's like saying I've read all about sex, read all about the Karma Sutra- But I'm still a virgin. :oops: :eek: :rolleyes:

Just because I can cook breakfast, doesn't mean I'm ready to cook for a 300 head wedding.

Having a qualification to test and inspect isn't much good without the knowledge regarding working at a clients / builders site and being expected to disconnect, re-terminate, isolate etc

If your up for the learning do the coursework, if you pass what are you expecting to use the qualification for?

Many here have already mentioned the general reluctance of electrical contractors to take on newbie DISQ, 2381 or 2391 qualified employees unless they have a broad scope of experience as a fitter / sparks mate.

You can understand why, when 15-18 months later the employee simply runs out the door and uses the learning done on paid work (for the employer) to setup and compete against the employer.

Consider the qualification like someone getting a degree, useful and a sign of ability regarding learning, but not the full ticket- That comes with experience, and explains why say a medical degree has to be backup with 'x' number of years working a a jnr and then houseman doctor, before going on their own.

baldersj said:
No college worth its salt would let you take the course without having done C&G 236 Pts 1&2 (or 2330 as it is now), and possibly 16th edition as well. The level of understanding required for 2391 cannot be acquired overnight, not to mention the practical experience needed to put the info into practice.
I'm not trying to put you off a career change, if I can pass the 2391 I'm sure you can, but you need to take a longer route than you think!

On the NIC site 2381 is 3 days (£630) and the 2391 is 5 days (£1150) and open to anyone who wants to have a go.

The figure may be wrong, but there is no entry criteria!

Sponsored Links
You need a minumum of 2381 to gain access to the course. 2381 is the 16th edition wiring regulations. The 2391 is very difficult and requires a lot of knowledge from the regulations as well as a good understanding of how to inspect and test. The most annoying thing about the course is that it already assumes you can inspect and test in some mannor and therefore does not allow for much practical classes. most of it is in the classroom. Start off with the 2381

quote]On the NIC site 2381 is 3 days (£630) and the 2391 is 5 days (£1150) and open to anyone who wants to have a go.

The figure may be wrong, but there is no entry criteria![/
Here we go again dont do it dont waste your money on these expensive learn to be an astronaut 2 days courses. Waste of time and money

RobFurn said:
You need a minumum of 2381 to gain access to the course. 2381 is the 16th edition wiring regulations. The 2391 is very difficult and requires a lot of knowledge from the regulations as well as a good understanding of how to inspect and test. The most annoying thing about the course is that it already assumes you can inspect and test in some mannor and therefore does not allow for much practical classes. most of it is in the classroom. Start off with the 2381

The 2391 has always been targetted at experienced sparks. It's only now we have the DI schemes that people are taking this with no previous experience. The 2381 is a pre-requisite, or at least it was.

Hey newspark, so your saying that all you need to do is a DI course and then you can do your 2391?

Chri5 said:
[On the NIC site 2381 is 3 days (£630) and the 2391 is 5 days (£1150) and open to anyone who wants to have a go.

The figure may be wrong, but there is no entry criteria!

You can take 'crash' courses in all sorts of things. I'd like to see the pass rate for the 5 day 2391 course.
Some things can't be learnt overnight is all I'm saying.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

P.S. I didn't say that there were criteria as such, just that no college "WORTH ITS SALT" would let you walk right in and take the 2391.
If their motivation was purely to make money, they would.
If they were interested in guiding someone into a career the right way, they wouldn't.

RobFurn said:
Hey newspark, so your saying that all you need to do is a DI course and then you can do your 2391?

Absolutely not mate. In the days before PP, sparks would do 2360 (2-3 years). Most would have experience of testing and have been comfortable with test kit when they then went on the 2391. Now we have people with 5 days training and minimal previous testing experience taking the course. This course was always the most difficult of those studied by electricians.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back