Electric Towel Radiator Timer also Extractor Fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased a ground floor flat in August 2008 which was built in 2004. I have a domestic electrical installation certificate.

In each of the two bathrooms there is an electric towel radiator with a 150w element on, I believe, a switched spur underneath each radiator.

There is also an extractor fan in the ceiling of each of the two bathrooms above the towel rails. The extractor has a vent pipe that I believe runs over the ceiling and under the floor of the flat above; to a vent outside.

The difficulties I have are as follows:
1. I would like to fit a timer to each of the towel radiators as leaving them on permanently is wasteful and expensive. The problem is that I cannot find any timer that could be fitted in place of the switched spur in the bathroom. Has anyone seen something that would be suitable?
2. The extractor fans are letting a siginificant draught into the bathroom. I have removed the motors and it would appear that when the backdraught flaps are closed the draught does not come in. The problem is that when I apply power to the extractors, when they are in normal use, it seems the backdraught flaps are not closing when they stop running. I contacted the manufacturers and they suggested a draught excluding vent on the outside of the property but I cannot tamper with the existing vent because of my lease. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you very much

Matthew

Sponsored Links
One of these on each towel rail. Its a combo timer and switch fused connection unit:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...rs_Index/Immersion_Heater_Timers_1/index.html

You might be able to solve the fan problem by putting a back draft flap in the pipe - not clear if thats what you already have. One of these maybe:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG4BS.html

Alternatively buy fans that have proper shutters. the ICON 15 and 30 fans are very stylish - they have a mechanical shutter -
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Aidelle_Icon_Fans/index.html
or the Xpelair premier range has an air-operated shutter - not so effective IMHO.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the above.

The fan looks excellent and seems to me to be the cheapest and best way of solving that problem.

With regard to the timer is it going to be ok to use that in the bathroom?

Thank you

Matthew

Sponsored Links
These days its usual ( and desirable0 for the FCU to be outside the bathroom.
What is the distance from the edge of the bath shower to the location of the FCU in each case?
Also, are the rads on RCD protected circuits?

+

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back