Electric towel rail control

Sponsored Links
Search "Programmable thermostat".

However, I would not think they are suitable for installing in a bathroom, either for the moisture conditions or for effectiveness.

Of course I have search for one, hence links above. I have not found one that is suitable.

Additionally one that sends a control signal is of no use. It has to carry a power suitable for Towel Rail element.

If you can suggest a particular "Programmable thermostat" that would be great.

Of course I have search for one, hence links above. I have not found one that is suitable.
The two links were for a timer and a thermostat.

Additionally one that sends a control signal is of no use. It has to carry a power suitable for Towel Rail element.
Perhaps saying what that current is would help.

Sponsored Links
The two links were for a timer and a thermostat.

Yes they were and I need a product that does both.

Perhaps saying what that current is would help.

I'm asking for experienced advice, didn't think it needed spelled out in detail. Not sure how specifying the current would help, it will be off a 13amp fused switch either incorporated into the controller or preceding the controller. Power wise, the timer shown will support up to 3kw, which is a wee bit big for a towel rail. Expect these to take 100w to 800w, I tend to use 150w to 250w as I don't usually use huge rails.

If you just want to have a wee rant on you go.

If you can actually suggest a specific product that does the combined job to the two examples I gave that would be good.

Central heating thermostats are often rated at 3A so can be used with a low-power pipe heater or towel rail. Some of the older ones are rated at 5A so will support a 1kW heater. I use a couple like that as frost stats in unheated areas. One is an old CH programmable thermostat I happened to have which controls temperature and time.

A new programmable stat costs around £80 - £100

What's your budget?

Separate units would work out cheaper and have higher current ratings.

I'm asking for experienced advice, didn't think it needed spelled out in detail. Not sure how specifying the current would help, it will be off a 13amp fused switch either incorporated into the controller or preceding the controller. Power wise, the timer shown will support up to 3kw, which is a wee bit big for a towel rail. Expect these to take 100w to 800w, I tend to use 150w to 250w as I don't usually use huge rails.
If you can actually suggest a specific product that does the combined job to the two examples I gave that would be good.
A very strange attitude from someone who clearly does not understand what he is doing and seeking free advice.

I used a Salus RT500RF central heating programmable thermostat to control a towel warmer. It wasn't purchased for that purpose, I was given it when I fitted a 'Smart Thermostat' for someone in its place so installed it for my mum as she wanted time / temperature control for her towel warmer.

The receiver which is wired to the towel warmer was located in the airing cupboard in the bedroom next door, but it could also have gone on the wall outside the bathroom, or even the loft. The battery powered programmer was installed in the bathroom at the opposite side to the shower to minimise its exposure to steam.

Some on this forum have criticised Salus, but I've installed a few and not had any problems with them. The advantage of the RT500RF is that its contacts are rated at 16A (resistive) which is good for over 3kW, and much more than most towel warmers which are usually just a few 100 watts.

In practice it didn't work all that well, mum used the towel warmer in the summer when the radiator wasn't on, but as the summer ambient temperature in her bungalow hardly fell below 22 degrees it rarely came on, so her towels remained damp, unless she turned it up to 24 degrees and then it stayed on pretty much permanently and so the point of having thermostatic control was somewhat lost.

Thanks guys, for the serious replies.
While saving pounds is always appreciated the £100 area is fine.
Got what I need, to go on with.

The adverts for a towel rail heater I have read state:- "element is thermostatically controlled by a non adjustable internal thermostat" so not sure how one would control the temperature? Clearly it will need some form of temperature sender. One can switch the power off/on using a mark/space ratio, I assume that is how the TCP200 works, but it would need something like the InkBird 308 to control temperature and you need to have a sensor
71+6qmsvwvL._AC_UL320_SEARCH213888_ML3_.jpg
clearly also a problem of no plugs and sockets in a bathroom, but that sensor shown between the controller and socket is the problem, it needs to be connected to the towel rail, there are loads of units to control temperature but just can't see how you would connect that sensor?

The STC-1000 was for years used for cheap temperature control, but it needs mounting in some thing, it is not a device you can use straight out of the box, I did try to fit a towel rail heater, but found it would thermo syphon and try and heat every radiator in the house, so the towel rail is now connected to the DHW so it heats up at the same time as main tank.

Mothers house towel rail on hot water supply to bathroom taps, not really a good idea as then takes longer to get hot water to taps.

I think best idea is simply timed, the TCP200 is simply timed and even just twice a day will likely dry the towels.

Honeywell CM907 is superceded now, but a good hardwired programmable timer. You might find one at reduced price on clearance.
Power handling is plenty for a towel rail:
"24...230V 8A resistive, 3A inductive
SPDT relay provides
compatibility with most domestic central heating systems
reducing the need to stock many different models."

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellho...tats/TPI/CM907-7-Day-Programmable-Thermostat/

Mothers house towel rail on hot water supply to bathroom taps, not really a good idea as then takes longer to get hot water to taps.

I have a cylinder, and plumbed the bathroom radiator onto the cylinder circuit from the boiler, so it comes on during and after running a bath; which I think is the ideal time for a bathroom rad. It has a TRV to avoid wasting heat in warm weather, but I suppose if it was just a towel rail I could turn it up. When swathed in a thick insulating layer of towels, little heat escapes a rail.

I have same system,
cylinder, and plumbed the bathroom radiator onto the cylinder circuit from the boiler
however the heating is timed there is no thermostat, so comes on every other day 7 am to 7:30 am which is not really as good.

However when ever it heats it will dry the towels, so what is wrong with simple timed operation?

Another fekin grouchy jock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back