horstmann controller on water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help :
I have a water tank controlled by Horstmann maxistore econ 7 quartz controller. The water tank has 2 heating elements wired separately into the controller (a lower one for "timed" overnight econ 7 heating and one higher for "boost" option). The red light on the controller is on, (main fuse downstairs not tripping) but neither element is triggered by either the overnight timed econ 7 control or the independent "boost" function. Do I need to replace the controller or is it possible my 2 heating elements in the water tank are faulty.
3 kids and no hot water - help

Sponsored Links
It's unusual for both to fail simultaneously. Unless you've only just noticed because you normally only use the bottom one and the top failed sometime ago.

Here are a few things you can try.

Check that the overheat has not tripped, some newer immersion heaters have a reset button under the lid.

Have you checked the wiring insde the timer? is there a neutral terminal that is used by both elements and that is burnt out, or loose?

You can disconnect the wiring from each of the elements and measure the resistance of the element with a multimeter to see if the element has failed (open circuit) Or and only as a test, if you can do it safely, wire each element one at a time directly to a 13A plug (with via a plug in RCD if your sockets aren't RCD protected and suitably rated cable) and see if they work then.

Thanks for the response.
Phoned Horstmann for advice - very helpful person thought the controller rather then heating elements at fault, as neither is working - apparently if the red "off peak" light is permanently on then the "boost" option cannot work (safety reasons). He suggested a new unit (particularly as the "maxistore" version I have is 15 years old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back