Electric Towel Rail Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I am new to the forum so hello!

I have just moved into a new build flat, it has electric towel rails in both bathrooms. The towel rails are Dimplex DLR 350 . I want to fit timers to these as they are not on the central heating circuit.

The heaters have one fuse panel in the bathroom behind the heater itself, and outside the room there is a single gang fused connection swicth. There is of course a switch on the heater itself. Can i replace the fused connection swicth with a timing switch like this one?? This way if i leave the switch on the towel rail to the on position it would come on when the timer swicthed.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tommy

Sponsored Links
Nice timer, but I do not think it provides overcurrent protection.
If we assume the towel rails are spurred from your ring main, then your arrangement would have to be
FCU > Timer > Towel Rails

The heaters have one fuse panel in the bathroom behind the heater itself
Can you expand on what you mean by this. Are the heaters fused in the bathroom in addition to the FCU outside?

Thankyou for the quick replys!

Are the heaters fused in the bathroom in addition to the FCU outside?

I think so yes!

The "fuse panel" behind the towel rail is an un-switched fused connection. Then there is a fused connection switch outside the room. I don't know what order they are wired in :confused: For some reason all the electric heaters have two fused connections in my flat.

As for the switch on the towel rail, it just has a switch on the towel rail itself for turning it on/off (its incased in a rubber thing).

My plan was to replace the switched fused connection outside the room with the timer i showed in the above post and leave switch on the rail swicthed on. I don't know if thats possible or within regs.

Also, the towel rail is on the circuit with the bedroom and hall sockets, i tested by manually flicking the trip off

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back