Electric underfloor heating on insulated suspended wood floor

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so building the bathroom. Current plan is to just put in kingspan + rockwall to fill the 10cm joist depth. But now thinking about adding electric heating.

There is already a plug socket in the room that spurs off from the hallway socket. I was going to remove it, but may as well put in a new cable for underfloor heating and maybe a heated / light mirror with shaver socket.

What is the best way to put in the electric heating? I am thinking that kingspan with a 2cm gap below the floorboards for the heat. Is this OK? Of should I be putting something between the kingspan and the electric heating? Not research products yet, just planning what to do with the floor.

Sponsored Links
I think a heat mat in the tile adhesive layer would be my preferred option.

If you choose one of the in between the joist type plate systems, you have to heat up through the plywood floor to heat the tiles.

Do you want a primary heat source or warm tiles?

a tile heat mat and a towel rail is probably fine for most bathrooms

Beware on the costs of electric heating -it works best on top of really well insulated floors -Id go with as thick as poss.
Ive had really negative feed back from people that have retrofitted onto existing floors with minimal insulation below.

I'll be putting vinyl sheet down. I could put in 70mm kingspan. The room will have a standard radiator, so will be warm enough, heating is just to help dry the floor out. Might consider some sort of timer. although not sure I will actually bother at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back