electric underfloor heating.... questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all....... i have a tiler coming next week to install underfloor heating and lay tiles in my hallway...... i have a few questions though.....

1. i have told the tiler i will buy mat and not cable does anyone have any reccomendations?

2.there is no radiator and it gets really cold in there.. also the floor is cement.. do i need insulation and if so what type?

3.the tiler said i will need an electrician to connect it... do i need the electrician there at the same time as the tiler is there...also is it a big job for the electrician (ie will it cost a lot)

4.what is a rcd.. i keep reading it on the forums but dont know what it is ..but it seems like i need it for ufh

5.what is the minimum power of ufh you would reccomend since it is the only heat source

i know thats a lot of questions so i thank you in advance.... thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. See what the tile shop has. You want it thermostatically controlled, with a wall-mounted adjustable thermostat.

2. read the instructions that come with the mat. I do hope the floor isn't cement - concrete would be much wiser ;) With "proper" UFH, you design the floor with it in mind - you'd have the subfloor, a thick layer (6-8-12 inches) of dense insulation, the UFH and then a layer of screed. However, there wont be much scope for insulating your floor, unless you want a big step up into the hallway, or want to do some digging . . .

3. AFAIK, the tiler can lay the mat in his adhesive (depends on maunfacturer of mat), so the electrician can come afterwards to connect it up. However, most systems have a thermostat wire which needs careful placing, and the wire resistance needs testing. Might be good to ask a local spark his advice.

4. RCD monitors live and neutral current. Any variance above its detection rate (usually 30mA) will cut the power. Look on the "fusebox". Is there a button anywhere which says "test" on it? Post a picture of the fusebox if you can.

5. depends on size of room really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back