Electric Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are renovating a property and were looking to install water based underfloor heating across the whole of the downstairs. We’ve since understood that there are some challenges particularly with thickness of carpets when you have underfloor heating and when the chap came to quote will need to look at replacing our external doors due to height restrictions so we’re thinking of installing electric underfloor heating in just the kitchen/family room now.

Seems a lot of choice out there, so can anyone make any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance, Chris

Sponsored Links
I recommend a rethink. The cost of running electric underfloor heating will ruin you, and there are low-build options for wet underfloor. There is even a no-build option which might be of interest - they cut channels into your existing screed and lay the pipes into that

Hmm. Thanks, we are still planning on having rads in the room but thought the electric would be best for every now and again and / or when people are over. My wet quote is for the Lo Pro 10 which I’m presuming is low height? Needing to weigh up the cost too. Installation is the same price as the equipment!

Sponsored Links
People normally have underfloor because they don't want large rads on walls. If you're having rads, they will need to be sized to heat rooms properly. As Dan says, adding expensive to fit underfloor heating when you have perfectly good rads is completely pointless. Save your money and get some fancy, properly sized rads instead. And forget electric, unless you have pots of money to burn.

You can't use UFH "every now and again" - it takes a good few hours to heat up enough for you to feel the effect of it. It's designed to be left turned on and to modulate its output to maintain a constant room temperature.

Thanks guys. There’s currently standard rads so fancy rads it is then! £10k saved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back