Electric wet central heating options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we currently have night storage heaters in our 3 bed semi, but I wish to replace this with a wet central heating system. Unfortunately, Gas isn't available and neither is oil/lpg due to the regulations and also access problems (but that's another story!). The roof slants East (rear is shaded by neighbour), so solar is out of the question. Not enough space for GSHP either :(

We are thus only left with electric. I have been looking at a thermal store type system, and have come across two companies who offer a combined thermal store that supplies wet radiators and hot water. They are the Electramate from Gledhill (under apartments) and the Etech-S from ACV .

However, I am a bit worried about the performance of these and whether they would be any better than night storage heaters. The Electramate seems better as it is designed for economy 7 (10 isn't available where we are), but it's recommended for 1-2 bed apartments, not 3 bed semis, so I'm worried about whether it is powerfull enough, and whether we'd have to keep boosting it using on-peak electricity tariffs.

The ETECH-S seems better, but isn't optimised for offf-peak usage. You can heat the thermal store overnight, but if you use it during the day, then it will reheat it up...kinda defeats the object really.

So, does anyone have any experience of these, or other systems? Does anyone know the 'best' way to have electric wet central heating?

Would appreciate some pointers and advice as it's all too complicated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Electric wet heating systems will work just as well as gas, but the main problem is running cost :eek:

I have a customer who had a 6Kw Amptec boiler fitted on her wet system in a very small 2 bed flat, electric bills were around £450/quarter :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back