Electric wiring passing behind sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've asked a few questions recently as I'm in the process of renovating my kitchen.

I'm moving a couple of sockets around in my kitchen but not adding to or extending the circuit. I was told by building control I can do this myself without the need of an electrician

I have a socket under the current worktop to the right of my sink. I would like to move it to the left. This would mean running the electric cable behind the sink.

The cable would be surface mounted and run through corragated conduit. Is this ok or a bad idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the main cable is water proof, however water can follow cables, so small loop before it goes into a box is enough to ensure it drips off before going into the box, as to not needing an electrician there is no single exam or test which makes anyone an electrician, if you work on electrics your an electrician in the same way as if you work with lead you are a plumber. So you are an electrician if your working on electrics and you should follow same rules as a professional electrician. What building control means is where you live they don't need notifying, here in Wales I do need to notify work in kitchens, it depends on where you live.

So you should do same testing and inspecting and fill out the same paperwork as any other electrician. We have been talking about that here you will see when reading the problems.

I am told (will not admit to being that old) in the 14th Edition we were told no socket within 1 meter of sink, however be it the waste disposal unit or hair dressers hair drier we have times where we do want a socket that close, and the RCD protection required for all new sockets should ensure if water does get into the electrics the RCD will trip before we get around to touching it, but a RCD will not stop getting a shock, but does mean less than 40 mS in duration.

However can't really measure 40 mS with a stop watch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back