Ok for electrical socket to be positioned under kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having my new kitchen extension wired up. I plan to have a hot tap installed (it comes with a 3 pin plug) and it will be positioned at the edge of the kitchen sink. I'm not sure how much cable comes with it.

Since this needs to be plugged into a regular socket (compared to being wired in to a spur socket), is it safe for the plug socket to be located immediately under the kitchen sink or should it be to one of the cupboards to the underside of the sink? Problem is I'm not sure how long the cable to the hot tap is.

I'm guessing the switch for the socket should be located above the worktop surface? A fridge will be located to the right of the sink next to the door in the image attached, corner cupboard to the left of the sink.

Thx.

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Perfectly fine under the sink, ideally you'd keep it away from any waste joins / compression joints on copper but in all honesty, the risk is so low I wouldn't worry too much.

There's plenty of places electricity and water are close together but assuming your plumber isn't a total numpty - big assumption :whistle:, then you'll be fine

I have two under my sink, positioned away from pipework, one of my neighbours called the other day, kitchen sockets were tripping, caused by a leaky waste pipe dripping onto a socket under the sink

Sponsored Links
if you are really worried, fit outside type sockets with a cover. ip44
but covered sockets make "emergency" switch off's harder

I suppose the sockets you are referring to are not surface mounted but regular "in the wall" type ones?

Those taps are mad, anyway - pointless waste of money.

Pointless like your comment? Still living with a kettle that whistles no doubt on the coal fired stove?
"Those taps are mad" - errr right ok, "good" answer. You have this tendency to write comments which have very little value but just side line remarks. Have you got nothing better to do? If it helps with boiling food items quicker or serves to help a disabled person (which is the case here) so they don't need to lift a kettle of water then no, it's not quite "a mad tap".

Pointless like your comment? Still living with a kettle that whistles no doubt on the coal fired stove?
No - living with an electric kettle that can boil the right amount of water.

If it helps with boiling food items quicker
It cannot.

or serves to help a disabled person (which is the case here) so they don't need to lift a kettle of water
And yes - I hadn't thought of that.

Probably because the only reason for them which I have seen the makers propose is that they mean you don't need to boil a full kettle if you only need one cup, ignoring the fact that there is another alternative - only boil what you need.

Those taps are mad, anyway - pointless waste of money.

There is one at the place where I'm currently working...horrible, spluttery (is that even a word?) thing that inevitably spits boiling hot water onto the hand holding the cup.

Probably the Quooker tap that's the only one that discharges at 100 degrees

I have a Franke 4 in 1 Omni tap, very useful for rinsing rice / cooking pasta and other items quicker. It has a filter too for both cold and near Boiling water. It's served from a socket under the sink high up away from pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back